Treating Self-Injury (SI)

Michael

I'm going to touch on "Patient Advocates" for a short.

When a patient, or their friends and/or family, feel that whatever care their friend/family member is getting is inadequate, or delayed, it at least gives them someone to talk to, without delaying care to the patient, or others in the ER, to express their complaints.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to touch on "Patient Advocates" for a short.

When a patient, or their friends and/or family, feel that whatever care their friend/family member is getting is inadequate, or delayed, it at least gives them someone to talk to, without delaying care to the patient, or others in the ER, to express their complaints.

I've got very mixed feelings on these...when used in an appropriate manner, they can be beneficial. However, from personal experience, they can get HORRIBLY annoying! It's not from lack of care/delay of care/not knowing the game plan, etc. All I've ever seen them used for is "are the test results back" or "when are XYZ going to get called" etc., of course this is after I have explained to them several times that it takes about an hour to get the results back (they usually ask every 15 minutes, or so it seems).

Anyway, to get back on track, from the EMS perspective...I will approach each report of the "SI" as possibly dangerous, until proven otherwise. Will I be rude and judgemental? NO! Totally uncalled for! There is a huge difference between a person who is a "cutter," and a person who is "SI" and is non-violent, to the suicidal person who...well, wants to die and doesn't care who they hurt/take out in the process. So...until proven otherwise, I will always approach with an appropriate amount of trepidation.

Ok, this is coming from someone who used to cut. YES I USED TO BE A CUTTER. There was once that I was treated VERY nastily because I hurt myself. How did they know? Look where the cuts are. Are there scars around? Is it on the wrist? Is it in an area that can easily be covered? There are many ways to know. SI is not just cutting. SI can be burning, biting, hiting, smashing, hair pulling. There are many forms!

As for the rights that were posted at first. Most of them I agree with. I had a doctor look at me and tell me that I must be clinically insane for doing this to myself and I need to be locked up. Well, he did just that. He got me put in 72 hour lock up. I was NOT suicidal, I was NOT a harm to anyone else. To be honest it was a coping skill that I had learned when I was 15 and until I was 23 I still used it. I felt like I was being punished for coping with my stresses.

I dont have scars all over my arms. Its different for everyone. I dont do it for attention. No one knew. I am just recently coming out about my cutting. My mom doesnt even know.

So in EMS, I have noticed (here anyways) that you dont see a lot of ambulance calls for SI unless they are bleeding really bad, have a really bad burn, or have another major self inflicted wound. And yes it is hard to tell if an injury is self inflicted or not. If you think it might be, then ask the patient. Yes they may lie but you tried. The ER will usually be able to figure out if it is or not.

If you have anyquestions Ill answer if I know it. NO I am not a expert but having been there I know about what Ive been through.

I made a huge mistake last year and lost my job as firefighter. I am now an EMT firefighter. I was put in the 72 hour hold a few years ago. its not like it was last year. I actually cut myself until 5 months ago. I am doing great! I found something that worked for me to make myself stop cutting and I actually feel lots happier knowing that I am not dependant on something to make me feel better. That is in the past and I am only moving forward

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.