Urine testing for drugs

Richard B the EMT

You know, I always thought testing after an accident was stupid, you are already going to be sued, now you have handed them a reason to get another million dollars if the test comes back positive. It would seem that it would be smarter to do random testing all year long, not just after an accident. Most people can hide their addictions for a long time. How many employees do you have at your work that wear sunglasses indoors ? How many are on psych drugs that have a warning label that says do not drive ? How many are on Lortab for their back injuries ?

Well, depending on where one works, some companies will throw an employee under the bus to protect the integrity of the company itself. I wont comment on if I feel its right or wrong but it does happen. That aside... while its stupid to fuel a fire thats against your odds already, wouldnt you want to know the truth to any and all contributing or possibly contributing factors? If you (the company) fail to provide a drug test then dont you think that it will look bad when the hospitals routine lab results come back posative for alcohol or narcotics? In other words, even if you wernt trying to cover it up, failure to request a drug and alcohol test may appear to be a cover.

(A qualification on that, this use of Bus is as in Greyhound!)

Whew! You scared me for a sec there Richard... I thought you were actually ganna throw me in front of a bus or ambulance. Greyhound eh? Its a big dog but I suppose its better than something a few tons of metal and rubber :wink:

Perhaps a better qualification: an omnibus, a large vehicle that can transport up to 40 seated passengers and an additional 30 standing passengers, used intra city as in a route bus (check out NYC MTA), or intercity and/or interstate, as represented by well known US/Canadian interstate bus line companies like Continental Trailways, or Greyhound Bus.

We see many patients from different companies who are routinely drug tested after any workplace injury. The guy running the press at the newspaper, the gal climbing a ladder stocking shelves at the hardware store, etc. We don't see the results since they are sent to an independent lab by the company to maintain chain of custody and protect both the worker and the company. Seems to be standard practice at all sorts of companies.

'zilla