Urine testing for drugs

Richard B the EMT

In another string, and probably more, we have discussed the "Dole" Test, halfway joked about as the "Pee In A Cup" test.

It is my understanding, that, if a New York City Transit Authority bus driver or train driver is involved in any operating incident, to put the public at ease by proving there are no drugs involved to impair the driver, almost the first thing done with the driver is a blood and urine drug test, usually within an hour of the incident.

I will state here, I have never had the situation happen with either me or my partners being either randomly or directly told to pee in the cup, except at yearly scheduled medical examinations.

Having stated that...

Has anyone ever been so tested?

What were the results?

Has anyone ever been in a situation where, to protect their own integrity, they ASKED to be so tested, as to prove their innocence?

Let me qualify this, as to include both on the job, and off.

Comments? Discussions? Situations?

I have been tested several times after being in an accident on duty. Funny thing is that I was not the one driving but they test both people so they can say that there is random testing going on but both of us were tested.

Our hospital also tests employees if the medication count comes up wrong. The last person in the drawer for the narcs get tested if the count is wrong.

They actually made me take a pee test after breaking my leg in Iraq, before they would allow me to take any analgesics. Unfortunately, it was a couple hours before I could manage to pee. And even then it was a challenge, considering I couldn't walk. But that was SOP for any on-duty injury incident, or incident involving a vehicle. I administered quite a few. Never had a single one come up positive, including my own. We utilised an instant test, where just a few drops was placed on a test tray. If it came up negative, that was the end of it. If it came up positive, then it was overnighted to a lab for quantitative analysis.

Closest I've come to a random test was when my advisor told us all last year that he was wrong and we did need a drug test done before clinicals. Didn't bother me a bit.

Right now, I'm fighting with my boss at my non-EMS job to get drug testing done. They found a meth pipe in an employee only area about 3 weeks ago and have done nothing about it. :roll:

You know, I always thought testing after an accident was stupid, you are already going to be sued, now you have handed them a reason to get another million dollars if the test comes back positive. It would seem that it would be smarter to do random testing all year long, not just after an accident. Most people can hide their addictions for a long time. How many employees do you have at your work that wear sunglasses indoors ? How many are on psych drugs that have a warning label that says do not drive ? How many are on Lortab for their back injuries ?

Random testing keeps individuals aware that management wants to run a clean ship, and presumably mandatory testing after an incident can either clear the crew, or give management enough ammo to throw the member under a bus. (A qualification on that, this use of Bus is as in Greyhound!)