What Are You Improving At Your Service ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you will be amazed at how supportive your leaders will be if you volunteer to do the heavy lifting. The problem is most employees only come to them with complaints, and no solutions. Or they are interested in something if someone else is going to do all the work.

Tackle any problem you are having, get the supervisors to steer the data your way, form a committee, and see what you can improve (with their approval).

if you dont mind my asking what is a "Category B" call though? Ill take a wild stab at Category A being lights and siren emergencies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Medi...Dispatch_System

AMPDS - the system used for prioritizing calls based upon caller information.

It has widespread use in both the US and the UK, the main difference being the letters are flipped between countries (someone always has to change something around :roll:) with category A calls being the most life threatening in the UK, vs Delta or Echo calls being the most serious in the US.

Not a fool-proof system, as the public know too well.

And you will be amazed at how supportive your leaders will be if you volunteer to do the heavy lifting...

I hear you on that. I could ask no more from a supervisor or manager at any level than for them to step up and either offer help or do a "grunt job" to lighten the work load when short handed. In fact, its one thing that a supervisor can do to greatly earn my respect.

And yes I did put supervisor, earn and my in the same sentence as the word respect. But I dont just mean that in Fire/EMS but in general in the working world. Im sorry but I think powers to be should have to earn respect from subordinates as well. Its one thing in life I will never GIVE ayone. Of course, anyone I dont know is given a degree of common courtesey and bennefit of the doubt untill proven otherwise or respect is earned.

Im not a trouble maker nor to I question authority and orders, I just feel that having a title does not exempt you from what would be required from your subordinates nor does it nessecarilly make you worthy of the position or good at what you(r supposed to) do.

Come to think of it, I recall a good example of what I just stated previously. Not trying to jack the thread on you crotchity... I find it related if thats alright.

A particular Leutenant in a fire department I was once a member of didnt like me too much. I will agree with her that I could have put more effort into learning equipment on the apparatus, but there is so much a person can learn on their own when it comes to new (foriegn to a person) equipment. In other words I was getting the sh*t end of the stick for not knowing how to operate equipment I had never used before... when no one would ever go over it with me. Said leutenant would often tell the cheif Im not doing anything but socializing and watching TV (for reasons I wont discuss said leutenant was all to often telling the "truth" when it was in fact what she was always doing).

So anyways, one day Im doing check sheets for our track safety vehicles we have for local stock car races... :twisted: said leutenant just happens to be in charge of todays event, therfore in charge of the track apparatus and ambulance. So as Im doing checks on the bus I begin to find expired products... some almost a year past expiration. Turns out everything that could expire was expired even the epi-pens! I filled a large basin with all of it and while she was watching TV walked up to her in front of two other officers and told her to never tell me Im not doing my job again. In that particular department the leutenants are in charge of restock and vehicle checks.

I can think of plenty of things Id love to make changes to in places Ive been... but because Ive moved on I can only take thoes experiences with me.

Also, just how serious can you take any leader who happens to be large chested and jokingly has the name "FUN BAGS" printed on her radio harness for all to see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.