Ever Carry a Gun on the Ambulance ?

Ever Carried a Gun on the ambulance  

60 members have voted

1. 1.

• All the time
    • Rarely
    • Never

Not trying to down your opinion at all... but fact remains that we do at times work in dangerous places. Im not saying that police should not be present in such areas during a call but theres no reason that one shouldnt have the means to protect themself.

What about transport services? Read my longer previous post... Ive had a transport through such an area and gangbangers were even chillin' outside the local PD. Should I be tactically trained just because we needed to pass through?

And any situation can turn dangerous... even in a controlled environment. Im reading a book (true stories) right now called "Angels in the ER" written by a Dr. Robert Lesslie. In it he recalls an instant where a physician gave a young man a death notice of his newlywed wife. They were in an MVC, he was wearing his belt she wasnt. Before the doctor could even finish explaining what happened, he was pinned against the family room door and being beaten. The doctor suffered broken ribs, a fractured jaw and fractured eye socket as well had 3 teeth knocked out. He was unable to return to work for several weeks.

I agree that maybe some sort of tactical training should be offered in areas populated by gangs and such... but the point is even in a safe situation things can go wrong. While none of us should put ourselves in unnessecarry harms way, if your not willing to accept you work in a potentially dangerous environament or take nessecarry (but reasonable) precautions to protect yourself, then you need to find new work.

By the way when I say you... I dont mean YOU, not trying to get personal, I just mean it as a generalization.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am anti-gun on the ambulance 99% of the time, but there are times of unrest in this country (or a particular state/city) when the police have a hard time protecting themselves. In those circumstances, I think you should have the right to protect yourself, and I dont mean because someone assaulted you verbally or even assaulted you with a fist. But there are times in EMS when you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe a gun is too much, a tazer would probably be a better solution, as long as you are not surrounded by many.

Most people stating that guns/protection have no place in EMS have clearly never worked in some areas of the country. I work in urban areas of pittsburgh and surrounding suburbs. The theory is that EMS should never be anywhere dangerous without police is all good and dandy till you get called for a sick person that turns in to a gun fueled domestic violence. Anyways, at the very least, i think it is ridiculous that I am denied by law to carry pepper spray on the job, whereas my grandma carries it 24/7.....

good point cb -- if you havent found yourself in a dangerous call that wasnt dispatched as dangerous, then you havent been in EMS long. Whether it is a seizure patient turned violent or someone having vietnam flashbacks (it could be your run of the mill homeless person with psych issues), it would be nice to have some nice - nonlethal protection. Especially in the rural setting, where the nearest deputy could be 20 minutes away, if he is not already on another call.

I have carried a weapon on an ambulance.

There are times and situations where it is warranted.

Working in the remote Arctic, it is a survival tool should you find yourself stranded which was easy to do on some of those long out of the way calls.

After Hurricane Katrina and during Rita, again it was a survival tool and was necessary.

There have been several other natural disasters where weapons would be nice to have and very much necessary. I have seen others carry as well during these times.

Again, like any medical call, there are too many variables to say whether something is black or white, right or wrong 100% of the time. It is all dependent on the situation, however some situations you can enter with the knowledge obtained from past situations and prepare yourself adequately.

Great topic!

Unless you have the desire to be arrest for possession of a firearm, wish to have a criminal record linger around you for the rest of your miserable life and never want to work in any form of healthcare related industry again then go right ahead lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.