EMTCITY PARAMEDIC CHALLENGE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a 2kg premie infant that needs a dopamine drip. You have 1600mg of Dopamine in a 100cc bag of NACL (you dont want to overload the child with fluid). You want to administer 7mcgs with a 60gtt set.

What is your drip rate ?

You'll want to give 0.0525cc/hr which you should put on a pump. For your little games, it would be 3.15 gtts per hour.

Can you do that out step by step for me, MedicRN? I was trying to figure it out myself (even though I'm not a medic) but I'm not sure how to make the conversions all work right. A 60 gtt set is 60 gtts per mL per min, correct? Without being able to look up references, I'm having issues.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Can you do that out step by step for me, MedicRN? I was trying to figure it out myself (even though I'm not a medic) but I'm not sure how to make the conversions all work right. A 60 gtt set is 60 gtts per mL per min, correct? Without being able to look up references, I'm having issues.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

That would be correct.

I'm still trying to work this one out. I get the same numbers as Doc but the decimal is in a different place............

I am trying to work it out too but its just not happening so RN will you give me a helping hand?

Ok..... finally got it to work out using a 'constant.'

16mg/1ml X 1000 / 60min / 2kg = ©133.33

7 / © = 0.0525ml/hr

0.0525 X 60gtt = 3.15gtt/hr

Thus, ALWAYS USE A PUMP!!!!!

Ok..... finally got it to work out using a 'constant.'

16mg/1ml X 1000 / 60min / 2kg = ©133.33

7 / © = 0.0525ml/hr

0.0525 X 60gtt = 3.15gtt/hr

Thus, ALWAYS USE A PUMP!!!!!

Thanks RN that is why I always use a pump lol

I'll try to explain the process, but it is hard over the internet.

1. We are starting with 1600mg in 100cc which gives us 16mg/cc (divide 1600 by 100cc) or 16000mcg/cc.

2. We are looking to give 14mcg/min or 840mcg/hr (multiply 14 by 60 minutes). So, we divide the desired rate by the concentration (840mcg/hr divided by 16000mcg/cc) which gives us 0.0525cc/hr.

3. We know that our set gives us 60gtt/cc, so we multiply our desired rate by the drip set which gives 3.15gtts/hr.

This is where algebra truly comes into use in medicine. It is basic unit conversion. Put all of your know values into the units you desire and then do the calculations. Hope this has made it as clear as mud.

Edited to make it less confusing (oops, didn't work).

Maybe just a silly notion, and the mental excises is fine granted ... but

The scenario a 4 kg kid is most likely a newborn, why would you be starting a 7 mcg/kg/min drip in the first place .... thats an MDs type order, without a pump hmmm and like in an ICU or transport team situation.

As a Paramedic in the field one must have exhausted fluid challenge first, then go to tropes ... point being unless you have an art line in-situ one would start at lower starting dosage and titrate to effect and not to many art line cut downs done in the field in my neck of the woods... and indwelling umbilical art lines are really not common practice in most services .... well just saying thats my real life way of thinking.

Besides delivering Dopamine other than a central line is rather difficult ... are we talking scalp vein here or IO?

just saying is all.