Proposed Maryand Law Asks for State Board of Paramedics

UMSTUDENT

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/r...08/12_19-27/GOV

A state senator and representative have introduced a new law for the next session that would require reform for the Maryland State Police Medevac system. The proposed law would also require that the state form a cabinet level position for Emergency Services and a State Board of Paramedics.

Quote: "The senators also propose creating a cabinet-level Department of Emergency Services to streamline numerous oversight agencies, including the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems; Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute; Office of Emergency Preparedness; Maryland Emergency Management Agency; and a new Board of Paramedics."

Almost everything I've seen about this bill says that someone got themselves educated on the issues facing our state and the profession. I feel that a State Board of Paramedics may allow some level of professional recognition on par with nursing and general medicine. A agency that supports and promotes the educational and professional standards of Paramedics would be great.

I hope this becomes a positive move in the advancement of the paramedic level in Maryland. I honestly do not care for MIEMSS, nor do I care for Dr. Alcorta, or Dr. Bass. The protocols are also a big problem in that state. Before I moved, I began to notice a trend of declining paramedic programs outside of colleges. I rarely saw any county level fire based classes being discussed or planned. The colleges required certain general education classes to be completed along with the paramedic courses. I've worked with the night class, volunteer fireman paramedic and the college paramedic. Of course, the college paramedic could outshine any one of the cook-book medics. It's amazing how much a little A & P and English Composition can do for you.

I also noticed most of those county programs were being replaced with the new EMT-I/99 program. If you look at the MD EMS protocols, the EMT-I, with it's 300 hours of training, can do nearly everything a and actual paramedic can do. They may have to consult more, but the fact that they can do the procedures and administer the drugs at all makes my blood boil. EMT-I was the easy way out of having a shortage of college educated paramedics. The even call themselves paramedics, not intermediates. Three hundred class hours and a few hours of ride time, and they feel they are "paramedics." Could they push their system back into the dark ages any faster?

I'd love to see a board of paramedics, but only if they do the right thing for the paramedics that have taking the time and busted their butts to become a well-rounded paramedic with a degree. I'd like to see paramedic go from a certification to an actual license. I'd love to see more advanced protocols in place for those that fulfill the requirements to become a licensed paramedic, which would be especially useful in the more remote areas of Western MD where they have a little more extended transport time. (It might also be useful in PG or Montgomery County when they're fighting a losing battle on the DC beltway.) I'd love to see RSI, CPAP, and actual STEMI recognition programs in place that allow the paramedic to call out a cardiac alert to have cath lab staff in place when they arrive at a receiving hospital. Give them a chance to truly become an extension of the hospitals. Some of the smartest paramedics I know live and work in Maryland, it's about time they get what's due to them.

Personally I take a offense to this. I worked my ass off for over a year in Intermediate Paramedic class and feel just as qualified as anyone who took a 2 year associated degree course to become a P. Some of us don't have the opportunities to become a P as it does take 2 years to achieve. And my experience at UMBC was a horrible one at that where I experienced the gender biased department head who essentially believed the rumors of one student over the facts. But that is a different story for another time. To say that university trained paramedics are superior to those of us who take a class at our training academy or a hospital is unfair. It is fair to say that people get out of their training what they put into it. If you wander through course work at a university and do not care much for the patho/phys of diseases then you are probably worse off than the student who busted their ass in their academy class to learn as much as they could about everything related to things we see in EMS.

Just my 2 cents worth.... But I do think a paramedic board would be beneficial to the state as a whole...beyond the medivac program which seems to be under a spot light lately.

There is a difference between training and education. Yes, one gets out what one puts in, but the quality of program and the content of education offered also has an effect on how good a provider will be. Not everyone is a good self-study on ethics, sociology, psychology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and the like.

Unfortunately, those who are self-motivated to exceed the expectations of the minimum training are few and far between... there's a few of us who are vocal on this site, but the attitude of "screw the thinking, you need to develop the gut instinct and the skills" is still prevalent in EMS, which is why we struggle as a MEDICAL profession. Without moving to a degree as the minimum requirement to be a professional pre-hospital provider, we allow the "skills before brains" crowd to remain in power, which helps neither us nor our patients. Degrees weed out those who have no desire to perform good medical care. Or at least, they certainly help.

Degrees also help people develop broader understanding of the world and the intricacies of humanity... which leads to more ethical awareness and allows people to more easily bridge cultural gaps. That background can certainly be a plus at 3am when you're trying to negotiate with a patient who has concerns other than that massive MI they're having...

Just saying. I know what it is to feel that you've put in, and it's unfair to judge all providers in your level in a lump... but the skills folks still reign supreme and our medicine suffers. I'm a well educated Basic with a biology background... and I self-study a lot of what we do and can't wait to go for medic. But not all Basics are like me... many are content to just be the paramedic's bitch. That's not what we need in medicine.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Personally I take a offense to this. I worked my ass off for over a year in Intermediate Paramedic class and feel just as qualified as anyone who took a 2 year associated degree course to become a P.

Of course you do. No one wants to admit they're not as qualified as they need to be. This isn't to say you didn't work hard and gave all you could to your intermediate training, but call a spade a spade.

To say that university trained paramedics are superior to those of us who take a class at our training academy or a hospital is unfair.

The truth isn't fair. All things being equal, a well rounded university/college education that includes a proper grounding in A&P, patho, pharmacology and even some liberal arts electives will produce superior providers. All things being equal.

It is fair to say that people get out of their training what they put into it. If you wander through course work at a university and do not care much for the patho/phys of diseases then you are probably worse off than the student who busted their ass in their academy class to learn as much as they could about everything related to things we see in EMS.

That is fair, but if that same student busted their ass in a proper education they'd be even better. You also assume that the academy class offers the same courses for the student to bust their ass in. If there's no proper course in A&P, they can bust their ass all they want on their courses and still be deficient in a key area. If the academy course has all the same courses as the college program then it's the exception and there's really no problem is there?

Personally I take a offense to this. I worked my ass off for over a year in Intermediate Paramedic class and feel just as qualified as anyone who took a 2 year associated degree course to become a P. Some of us don't have the opportunities to become a P as it does take 2 years to achieve. And my experience at UMBC was a horrible one at that where I experienced the gender biased department head who essentially believed the rumors of one student over the facts. But that is a different story for another time. To say that university trained paramedics are superior to those of us who take a class at our training academy or a hospital is unfair. It is fair to say that people get out of their training what they put into it. If you wander through course work at a university and do not care much for the patho/phys of diseases then you are probably worse off than the student who busted their ass in their academy class to learn as much as they could about everything related to things we see in EMS.

Just my 2 cents worth.... But I do think a paramedic board would be beneficial to the state as a whole...beyond the medivac program which seems to be under a spot light lately.

The EMT-I program in Maryland should be eliminated, period. The "Cardiac Rescue Technician" is one of the biggest problems holding back the Maryland protocols. Furthermore, academy-based EMS education programs are generally a joke.

Your personal history with UM is a totally different story. Out of respect for you I'll choose to let it rest. The people on this forum are usually smart enough to recognize bias when they see it.

Typical rant out of the soverign state of Montgomery.

Personally I take a offense to this. I worked my ass off for over a year in Intermediate Paramedic class and feel just as qualified as anyone who took a 2 year associated degree course to become a P. Some of us don't have the opportunities to become a P as it does take 2 years to achieve.

Should someone who doesn't "have the opportunities to become" a physician and opt to become a physician's assistant be able to state that they are a doctor because they worked hard for a PA degree?

Didn't mean to stir so much of the pot.... UM Student... don't know who you are but you obviously know who I am... I don't think it's okay to just stop at an I certification but for some it is a stepping stone, just as Basic is a stepping stone. I agree there are too many who sit complacently and don't strive to learn more. I also happen to be a nursing student who has taken A&P so I am probably more/better trained than other EMT-I's.

I also happen to be a nursing student who has taken A&P so I am probably more/better trained than other EMT-I's.

Likely, but we have to talk in generalizations for anything to be relevant. Otherwise Dr. Bledsoe is one of the best educated EMT-P's out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.