Paramedic retires after 46 years!!!

akflightmedic

Ok, yes he was a hose monkey as well, but in his picture he is carrying a lifepack, he rides the ambulance very proudly and in his retirement years, he has taken a job with an ambulance transport company!! He speaks fondly of EMS and has been a paramedic for 25+ years.

Click link for entire story and pictures.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081227/NEWS01/812270334

After 46 years, fire runs will go without Al

This morning at 7, Al Piening will clock out of the Cincinnati fire station at Clifton and Ludlow avenues for the last time, marking the end of a nearly half-century career.

Advertisement

• Photos: Fireman's last day

The white-haired, muscular lieutenant has been fighting fires and saving lives in the city since May 6, 1962, so he's earned a relaxing denouement to a 46-year, seven-month career.

But the longest-serving Cincinnati firefighter's 24-hour shift just wasn't busy enough for his tastes.

"I've got to keep active," said the 68-year-old, after dispatchers called off an emergency run. "If it would mean ... getting dispatched or jumping on a run like that, I'd just as soon do that all day."

I don't know man. Became a paramedic a couple of generations before it was required, continued to do it long after it was no longer required, I'm guessing. He's of the generation to brag about 'jumping' calls, as opposed to avoiding them?

I just can't find anything here not to respect. He's a hosemonkey, sure, but no one's perfect. God help his wife with him home all the time though....

Wishes for he and his family that he have a long, healthy, full retirement.

Dwayne

I did my field time with LA City Fire a few years ago. On my very first morning (I showed up like 2 hours early), there was an old man sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and reading a paper. He was wearing civilian clothes and I thought, How cool, this old guy must've been a firefighter a long time ago and now he probably volunteers at the station. Fortunately I didn't ask him how he liked being volunteer because I found out later that this guy was the battalion chief. He had first become a firefighter in 1948 and had just never retired.

When I was an EMT, one of my long-time partners was a guy who's worked longer as a medic in the field than anyone else I know. He was a combat medic in Vietnam, and he'd graduated from the second class of Daniel Freeman, which is tied with PTI as the oldest paramedic school.

At one time I wanted to have that kind or track record. I thought I'd put in 35-40 yrs. But health has prevented me from doing so. I was so disappointed in myself for not making my career last that long. Back in Sept. (19 th) would have marked 25 yrs. for me. Since I'm not in the field I don't know if that counts. Some say since I kept teaching for awhile I could consider that as still being active. So does that mean coming here count too?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.