My Rodeo Vent

Timmy

no offence bro, but what they do for their bread doesn't change my treatment. treating hem diferently is asking to make a stuff up. if they want to refuse treatment thats fine, but after i do my job. no matter how "tough" these "real men" are, i bet they'll have no quamls about suing anyone who treats them "differently" and misses an injury.

It should not change your treatment! It should change your approach to that treatment.

Like I stated before, if this was a professional rodeo, being sued would be the least of my worries! Real cowboys don't follow the "sue everybody mentality"!

Why should them being a "real cowboy" change my approach to treatment?? I dont let things slide because they are real live tough cowboys who should be i ICU because they can handle injuries normal people can't (gag).

They get the same approach to treatment anyone else does "real cowboy" or not. If they are too meat headed to listen then thats their own perogative.

Back to tim, you cant help stupid people matey, the only thing i can suggest that if you guys choose to cover the event again then do so only on the requirements that you have a meeting before the event laying down your requirements for providing good medical care/first aid and if they dont want to play by your rules then dont go - its not worth the risk. I know for a fact they cant ride without someone there (they tried to book us for free on friday morning and we wouldn't do it) so either they play by your rules or they dont play at all.

Pursuant to my last posting on this string, I also ask BushyFromOz and AussiePhil to chime in on answering my question, please? Or anyone from that region of the world.

Sorry, legal drinking age is 18, but if provided to by their parent or legal guardian then technically speaking it is legal, generally not socially exceptable but legal. Not sure about cigarettes though

the last three or four rodeos I have worked have been nightmares(no pun intended - get it night mares).

95% of the people who go to rodeos want to have a good time but there are the 5% that go there to get in fights, drink till the well is dry, and then they want to see the riders get hurt.

When a rider gets hurt and we wait until the bull is out of the arena circle(scene safety if you know what I mean) the people in the stand yell and say "get yer ass in there" or other inappropriate epithets. I don't see their asses going in the ring with the 2thousand pound bull.

When we do get in to the ring the cowboy is mostly always going to refuse.

Many of the drunk rodeo attendees have gone so far as to say "if you don't get in there right now we're gonna come down and Kick your asses".

We brought this up to the last rodeo official we worked with and he told us to get thicker skin. We told him that we were leaving. He said we couldn't. I said that this is no longer a safe environment for us to be at and until those who threatened us were removed from the environment we were not coming back. He refused to do that.

We left. The rodeo was cancelled. Our boss backed us 100% and told the rodeo officials that there would be no ambulance standby's until some changes were made. They now use another ems service to cover their rodeo.

I hate hate hate rodeo standby's, it's my least favorite part of this job. To me anyone who sits at a table while a bull is charging them and waiting until the bull hits them then they have a few screws loose. Or the one I really love to see is the cowboys(if you can call them that) trying to pull the ribbon off the bulls horn and then getting gored just floors me.

Give me a High angle rescue anytime and I hate heights more than most anything.

The second rodeo was great! It was managed by a completely different company who communicated very well with us. We set up in the rider’s area and had great access to the crowd, arena and the cowboys. We had a few incidences on the arena and everyone was a great help. Again, they refused treatment including one rider who threw him self on the ground in the yards in respiratory distress. He flat out told me he didn’t want help and refused to even give his name, that’s cool, his prerogative. I informed the head official who gave me all his details to fill out the refusal of treatment form and countersigned it for me. Generally everyone was very appreciative and most riders came over to the tent right at the end of the night for a quick ‘once over’ before moving to the next event. When I first arrived this lady came screaming up to me and gave me a huge hug and thanked us for being there, I later found out she was running the event.

The previous rodeo was a disgrace! As Bushy said, they try to save money anyway they can then blame all there problems on the people who are doing there best. The riders came up and commented on the poor treatment they witnessed the officials give us and we also made comment on how poorly the riders were treated as well. Even the crowd made comment on how poorly run the event was in general. As a rule my service is no longer covering events run by this company, and I’m sure they’ll scam some poor person into doing first aid at there future events – whether these people will be insured or indeed even qualified I really don’t want to know.

Sorry to hear that Ruff, sounds much like this first rodeo I attended. I’ve been criticized by the crowd before at other events, I just block them out and they become white noise, they have no idea what arrangements have been made with the relevant officials and no idea how things work ect. Fortunately when a rider went down at the rodeos I’ve attended the announcer calls for the ambulance team then goes on explaining that we don’t go onto the arena until the bulls are taken care of then gives us a big wrap about helping them out and gives a brief update on how the rider is going i.e. “I can tell you ladies and gentleman the rider is now conscious and talking in the capable hands of the ambulance team”

We didn’t really have any problems with drunks or assaults. I know a few of the riders drink before they go out (who wouldn’t lol) but I’d really doubt if any of the officials drink while officiating.

If its not safe or there not treating your right, get out of there!

Timmy, you stated this rider was given a bottle of Jim Beam, and he was only 15? Is there any minimum legal drinking age in your country?

Here in the United States, the age is 21, somehow tied into individual states getting Federal monies for highway building and maintenance, which would not be paid out if the state had anything lower. This has been in effect for at least the last 20 years.

Just stating the case, not mentioning pro or con on the issue

The legal drinking age in OZ is 18.

As for the 15yo with the bottle of JB.................Perhaps it was for medicinal purposes only........you know snake bite, broken leg, bruised pride or anything else that's ahurtin'....!!!!!

Timmy, where was this "Rodeo from Hell" held...........???

I just wanta be sure that I don't ever go there...................and if you say Tasmania, I'll understand

Im told that Taswegians are proof south australians can swim :D

ACP??? Sheambo, you must be a banana bender?

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style1,Beer.png

Bring on the beer and bring on the Bull----n0 is ready to ride- got new jeans to break in, a hard butt to land on and some soft dirt..SO bring on the bull and let's Rodeo..

Denver Home of the National Western Stock Show 1st Offical PRCA Rodeo of the year..

Here the local medics/emt's are here for the fans, we have the Justin Sports( Which Funds) a Medical staff that takes care of the clowns (BullFighters) and the Cowboys and Cowgirls in case of injury, Made up of 4 Doctors and several paramedics and a couple of PA's they travel from Rodeo to Rodeo and are highly respected for there work

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooo