Anything special for Christmas on Duty?

So I was thinking that with any luck I'll be working full time this time next year and potentially having to work Christmas. I got to thinking, is there anything special I'd do on that shift, either around the station with my co-workers or any little things I might do for patient's that I might be taking away from their family Christmas dinner? A couple of candy canes to offer the kids maybe? Pot luck dinner at the station?

Do you or have any of you done anything special when stuck working on Christmas?

Currently working in-hospital so we got a free turkey dinner(tho the meat was a mystery meat :pukeleft: ) and we stuffed our faces with chocolates staff had brought in for the shift.

Something that did happen last night tho which was cute, was the local police, fire and EMS decorated their trucks and toured around town with their lights on. Was very cute and thought was a great christmas eve thing to do.

Otherwise no. I talked to some of the medics that came in this afternoon and heard some of them had a turkey dinner at the station. Not sure of the details on that one tho.

We have a "family" dinner at the station where family members are invited and it is really nice. We always decorate the fire house too with a tree, menorah, lights, and stockings with each of the members names on them. We also ride around our first due with santa on the wagon for four nights before Christmas. The corporation pays for the shifts dinner on both Christmas and Thanksgiving where family is invited and it is a big fun event.

I worked yesterday. In the morning after we did our station duties and were enjoying a coffee, a woman who we had picked up and was having a MI dropped by with a plate full of goodies and more food than we could eat. She stated she was so grateful for the way we had treated her and providing Christmas dinner for us was the least she could do. Totally unexpected.

We had already made plans to cook dinner and had all the food we needed., so today's crew is set :wink:. It is always a good idea to bring extra drinks and snacks with you especially if you are on a 24 or night shift. Most stores are closed or have shorter hours of operation.

I'm sure it will depend on where you work for a number of factors like how much down time you'll have and how many trucks there are at your base (can't do much of a pot luck with two people). Even if not a pot luck though, food is always good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.