Army Stops Use of Wound Stat

scubanurse

So is it the free granules of the WS that is the problem or the agent itself because I think the haemostaic that is usedis the same as in other products where they are controlled in a sponge or dressing with the (assumption)the granules are controlled there. Alot of the wilderness EMT's carry these and we have talked of implementing a similar product.

Do you honsetly use hemostatic agents? Even overseas, it seems many people use hemostatic agents on every casualty. My non-peer reviewed anecdotal experience is, they often do not work, and most bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure.

Cost versus benefit in the civilian world, leads me to believe the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Take care,

chbare.

So is it the free granules of the WS that is the problem or the agent itself because I think the haemostaic that is usedis the same as in other products where they are controlled in a sponge or dressing with the (assumption)the granules are controlled there. Alot of the wilderness EMT's carry these and we have talked of implementing a similar product.

They don't really know just yet if it's a migrating granule or a systemic effect of the coagulation cascade. They studied it on pigs, and found clots in the lungs distant from the site of application. Whether that was an errant granule that gets into the bloodstream or if it triggers clotting in the bloodstream by some other means is unknown. The fact that granules were found in the lungs may implicate this as the mechanism. Whether or not other hemostatic agents do the same is not quite known, but being studied.

Quikclot is spending a good bit of money convincing joggers and campers that they need a hemostatic agent. I disagree, for reasons that I have posted elsewhere. Unless you are hiking through zones of active hostile fire, weight, cube, and training time is better spent elsewhere.

'zilla

They don't really know just yet if it's a migrating granule or a systemic effect of the coagulation cascade. They studied it on pigs, and found clots in the lungs distant from the site of application. Whether that was an errant granule that gets into the bloodstream or if it triggers clotting in the bloodstream by some other means is unknown. The fact that granules were found in the lungs may implicate this as the mechanism. Whether or not other hemostatic agents do the same is not quite known, but being studied.

Quikclot is spending a good bit of money convincing joggers and campers that they need a hemostatic agent. I disagree, for reasons that I have posted elsewhere. Unless you are hiking through zones of active hostile fire, weight, cube, and training time is better spent elsewhere.

'zilla

Please post or PM and links to get a better handle on these systems reading the sellers info is obviously bias but I think I will recommend being patient till there is more info out there. I talked to a jarhead medic I know and he said it was the granuals that was the problem but his info could be dated he's been out for a year or so.

I think one of the key points being missed here is that the Army's recall on Wound Stat specifically mentions that their own studies found no improvement over direct pressure with Combat Guaze. If that's the case and their research is valid, then I'd say there's enough reason to remove wound stat based on it not working. The complications with clotting just made it a no brainer.

'Zilla it seems like you've got access to some good info on this, any chance the Army has released the research they did on Wound Stat? I'd be curious to read it.

- Matt

Doczilla

Unless you are hiking through zones of active hostile fire, weight, cube, and training time is better spent elsewhere.

Might have a market on joggers in Central Park!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.