Ghettomedics

Ghettomedic: compliment or insult?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• Insult
    • Compliment
    • Both

So, I've have heard and read (and used) this word in many situations and many different contexts, and it seems as if this term is often used as both an insult and a compliment. So I figured, once and for all lets take a poll and lay this issue to rest.

Have you tried posting this same question on the ghettomedic forum?

http://www.ghettomedic.com/

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried posting this same question on the ghettomedic forum?

http://www.ghettomedic.com/

I read a couple of the posts on that forum and they were good thought out posts. I'm not going to go off and join that forum as one forum for me is enough but the one on dying was pretty thought provoking.

I've always thought the term to be a label based upon where you work. Never took it as an insult to me, my practice, or my organisation. I suppose I could have been wrong about that though.

I've always thought the term to be a label based upon where you work. Never took it as an insult to me, my practice, or my organisation. I suppose I could have been wrong about that though.

Yes, I was under the impression a ghettomedic is either a person who 1) Improvies really well due to a lack of equipment, or 2) A medic that works in the ghetto.

I don't really see how people are getting all fussy about this though.

I suppose it can go both ways, depending on how you use the term. However, I have always seen it used in conjunction with compliments on a medics skills. Quite often "ghettomedics" are complimented on the fact that they run a high volume of calls, handle stressful situations well and tend to do their job very well because of the lack of health care in the impoverished neighborhoods they work in which presents them with many challenges. Having spent most of my career as a "ghetto medic" I often get complimented on my skills and ability to handle stressful situations while maintaining my cool. Where I am from, its often used as a compliment showing that you have been there and done that. By the way George Carlin did a great piece on how words can have two meanings. Check it out if you get a chance, it could help answer your dilemma.

I've heard it used both ways. There have been a couple of posters come on here talking about ghetto medicine that actually gave EMS a bad name. They had bad attitudes, were obnoxious, etc. Made me think of Dustdevil but uneducated and bad personality. :shock:

I have also heard some use as another posted as a sign of respect for where they work, much like most people that know me want me as their attending if they injured or ill at the end of nowhere. So just as some rural medics are looked down on because lack of call volume, some ghetto medics are looked at as burned out has beens, others though are highly sought after.

So see hard question to answer.

So Im assuming that this thread has nothing to do with a pink Caddilac (wagon) ambulance with chrome spinners, a system and tinted windows? :cry:

God, I cant believe Im about to go there... but for the sake of the holiday season and that there seems to be way too much tension on this site latley, I give you without further adeu:

West Side Ambulance; Unit No. 9mm!

WestSideAmbulance-2.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.