1. 1.

• Insult
    • Compliment
    • Both

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the context of the word 'ghetto' is derogatory and implies something to be inferior, I fail to understand how anyone could consider 'ghetto medic' to be a complimentary term.

Unfortunatly, todays society tends to rely on the usage of slang words entirely too often. In most cases, it only serves to show how limited one's vocabulary actually is. We are attempting to convince the general public that we are more educated than the average citizen, and at the same time trying to instill confidence in our competence.

While the usage of slang words and terminology doesn't necessarilly imply incompetent practitioners, it DOES imply that we aren't any more educated than the average street punk who couldn't even get a job at McDonalds.

If one were to gauge the level of competence of the practitioner by the quality of their posts here in the forums, one would be left wondering if the practitioner is actually qualified to apply a band-aid!

It's always been my contention that the usage of slang in a professional environment is strictly forbidden!

Let's be honest here people....how much confidence would you have in an ER doctor that said something like this to you:

"Yo dawg, it be lookin like some mothafucka done cut your ass deep, wide and continuous! Now before we takes yo ass up to the O.R. to frankenstein yo ass, I gots to axe you some questions. Now before I be startin' to get yo 4-1-1, hit me with yo digits, so I can call up to da crib and let ya moms know you ain't done gone tits up!"

Personally I would think that I'd be looking for someone else to help me at this point!

*DISCLAIMER* THE ABOVE CONVERSATION IS FICTIONAL, AND DOES NOT REFLECT PERSONAL VIEWS OF ANY RACE, NATIONALITY OR ETHNIC GROUP!

Well working in Harlem has taught me many things, and one of them is you must speak to your "clientele."

One of the best ways to relate to your patient, and avoid getting hurt is to speak to them on there level.

Its also essential to understand the slang they use, this will help you in many ways, especially when obtaining a HPI or PMH also drug slang is huge.

Speaking in slang/ebonics will also help the patient, by reassuring them you're on the same level, and might even help them open up.

I work for a company where uniforms vary, not everyone wears the same thing, everyone looks professional and has similar basic items, but things are slightly different. In Harlem, you could expect bdu's, a work shirt, and a non ems baseball cap.

When I work midtown, and the clientele are upper class, you can expect slacks with no cargo pockets, a button down and hair appropriate. Here again you try and stay on the patients level, and speak and act accordingly, basically make them the center of your universe and no mater how silly or back breaking it might be.

Slang serves its purpose, and has appropriate uses.

Well working in Harlem has taught me many things, and one of them is you must speak to your "clientele."

One of the best ways to relate to your patient, and avoid getting hurt is to speak to them on there level.

Its also essential to understand the slang they use, this will help you in many ways, especially when obtaining a HPI or PMH also drug slang is huge.

Speaking in slang/ebonics will also help the patient, by reassuring them you're on the same level, and might even help them open up.

I work for a company where uniforms vary, not everyone wears the same thing, everyone looks professional and has similar basic items, but things are slightly different. In Harlem, you could expect bdu's, a work shirt, and a non ems baseball cap.

When I work midtown, and the clientele are upper class, you can expect slacks with no cargo pockets, a button down and hair appropriate. Here again you try and stay on the patients level, and speak and act accordingly, basically make them the center of your universe and no mater how silly or back breaking it might be.

Slang serves its purpose, and has appropriate uses.

First off, the uniform you wear makes little difference in how you treat people. I've worked in many of the 'lower class neighborhoods' of metro Detroit with no problems. I've had temporary partners that have shown up on shift wearing balistic body armor (both bullet proof and stab proof vests, etc). The point is, you don't need ebonics/slang to communicate effectively with your patients.

As for the BDU's in Harlem, I think the appearance of a SWAT memeber would actually cause you more problems than if you had on uniform trousers that weren't 'bloused'. Leave the 'paramilitary look' to the cops and the military!

God, I cant believe Im about to go there... but for the sake of the holiday season and that there seems to be way too much tension on this site latley, I give you without further adeu:

West Side Ambulance; Unit No. 9mm!

WestSideAmbulance-2.jpg

by the looks of that picture it's photoshopped in. It's too perfect looking to be an actual ambulance on the street.

First off, the uniform you wear makes little difference in how you treat people. I've worked in many of the 'lower class neighborhoods' of metro Detroit with no problems. I've had temporary partners that have shown up on shift wearing balistic body armor (both bullet proof and stab proof vests, etc). The point is, you don't need ebonics/slang to communicate effectively with your patients.

As for the BDU's in Harlem, I think the appearance of a SWAT memeber would actually cause you more problems than if you had on uniform trousers that weren't 'bloused'. Leave the 'paramilitary look' to the cops and the military!

You focus on the pants and missed the entire point of the post.

You focus on the pants and missed the entire point of the post.

I doubt that he missed it. More likely, he recognised it as quite possibly the stupidest point that has been made here in months, and felt it unworthy of an intelligent response. If you actually believe the utter bollocks you posted there, then quite frankly, I'm very disappointed in you. I expect more of you. This is what happens when you get tech school training, without the benefit of formal sociological and communications education.

I doubt that he missed it. More likely, he recognised it as quite possibly the stupidest point that has been made here in months, and felt it unworthy of an intelligent response. If you actually believe the utter bollocks you posted there, then quite frankly, I'm very disappointed in you. I expect more of you. This is what happens when you get tech school training, without the benefit of formal sociological and communications education.

How you dress, act and speak directly affect a patients confidence in you, to upper class persons you address it one way, to drug dealers in Harlem, or in the South Bronx you will address it another.

Anyone who thinks you can effectively communicate the same point to both ends of the spectrum, in the same manner, is diluted to say the least. If you can't relate to your patient, they wont trust you, and they will choose not to tell you something that may or may not be key to your assessment and treatment.

For the record, I'm nearly done with my B.S. and have taken my share of sociology courses, although I will agree I haven't taken a communications class.

It is not necessary to be patronising or condescending, or to dumb yourself down, in order to effectively communicate with patients of lower socio-economic status. Trying to fake "ebonics" when that is not your natural vernacular is phoney, and it makes you a phoney. Do you honestly believe that minorities want their medical providers to be less intelligent than other people expect their medical providers to be? To even suggest that is racist, and exhibits a gross lack of sociological understanding. Those people don't have to be rocket scientists to see the insincerity in that charade. Insincerity is a barrier to trust between you and your patient, and is contrary to good patient care.

And you think dressing like a slob somehow gives African Americans more faith in your medical professionalism? Nonsense. Sounds to me like you're just looking for an excuse to dress like a slob.

This is a bunch of crap that I suspect the losers you work with pulled out of their arses a long time ago, and you bought into it to fit in, because that's a lot easier than using your brain. Show your post to a sociology and anthropology professor and see what they think of your theory.

Trying to fake "ebonics" when that is not your natural vernacular is phoney, and it makes you a phoney.

When I'm off the job I speak in slang and ebonics all the time, ask people from the city who speak to me regularly, I curse every other word if not more. To speak with slang or ebonics is normal to me, to speak prim and proper is not, but if I don't act professional when need be I wouldn't have a job.

Do you honestly believe that minorities want their medical providers to be less intelligent than other people expect their medical providers to be?

Who said anything about being less intelligent, intelligence and attitude and presentation are completely separate things. It would be my belief that the people where I work expect someone who knows their job, and knows how to relate to them.

To even suggest that is racist, and exhibits a gross lack of sociological understanding. Those people don't have to be rocket scientists to see the insincerity in that charade. Insincerity is a barrier to trust between you and your patient, and is contrary to good patient care.

How can you pretend to know if my use of ebonics and slang is a charade? This entire post is based on assumption that I'm not real with my patients, I am who I am. I choose how to speak to different classes people, as I would choose to speak to my girlfriend's/fiance's/wife's parents differently than the I would speak to my buddies at a bar. Even if to communicate the same point you would approach it differently.

And you think dressing like a slob somehow gives African Americans more faith in your medical professionalism? Nonsense. Sounds to me like you're just looking for an excuse to dress like a slob.

To assume they are African American's is racist in itself. Dressing in uniform is dressing in uniform, we are given options and people choose to use the options presented. To say I look like a slob in itself is unfair, as you have never seen me in either uniform. For that matter, people who do wear the cleaner cut set, can still be slobs if there uniform inst clean and neat. Being a slob is based on more than the set of clothes you choose to wear.

This is a bunch of crap that I suspect the losers you work with pulled out of their arses a long time ago, and you bought into it to fit in, because that's a lot easier than using your brain. Show your post to a sociology and anthropology professor and see what they think of your theory.

Soon as Christmas break is over I certainly can show it to a professor, however I do not think a professor in sociology or anthropology would have the full picture. Perhaps a sociology or anthropology professor with a background in psychology would be a better fit, as most of how I communicate with the patient is about getting them to open up to me in the 20 minutes I am with them.

To assume they are African American's is racist in itself.

I was giving you credit by assuming you weren't talking ebonics to Puerto Ricans or Russians.

Obviously, I gave you too much credit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.