Ban Personal Cell Phones From Ambulance

Funny thing is, our radio system is not recorded at the hospital, but our cell phones are...go figure. We use the cell to give report so that the nurses can't bitch us out because they're too distracted to bother to listen to our report and claim we didn't tell them we were coming in with a STEMI alert.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calls to the hospital may be a courtesy, but you're very liable to get your heinie chewed if you don't call in to the hospital... by the nurses, your doc, your supervisor and your QA/QI officer. It's very important to let the hospital know what you're coming in with and what resources may be required... and to check that there will be a bed there for your patient when you get there.

As far as cell phones go, I have to say that the most egregious personal phone use has been from folks old enough to be my parents. Hell, some of them are medics old enough to have DELIVERED me. So don't label this as a generational thing... it most certainly is not. It's a personal thing.

As far as having one on duty... it's a good safety backup in case you can't get to the truck cell phone and your radio goes kapustky on you... and it's very easy to put your phone on silent or vibrate and check messages between calls, or make short personal calls while you've got down time and all your duties are taken care of. The whole "back in the day we only" argument doesn't fly-- this isn't back in the day, and it's a matter of personal sanity for some people to be able to contact loved ones while they're on shift and be reassured that everything's ok.

Driving while texting or talking is a big mistake... and a stupid one that I've seen many of my coworkers make. I refuse to make that mistake. My phone stays in my pocket until I'm not busy with something. And I'm 22, and an avid texter... so... *shrugs* it all comes down to whether you choose to act professionally or not while you're on shift. I don't have a problem with it, and can't really understand why some of my elder coworkers do, but I'm too new on the totem pole to make waves yet.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I tell you what, look at your bill next month and see how many incoming calls you had versus outgoing, and how many of those outgoing were to a hospital because the radio system was inoperable. The cell phone is only being used for booty calls and other mindless personal discussions that have no place in the workplace -- remember you are on the clock to work, not plan your weekend.

Crochity, this is one area that you and I agree on almost.

I do not think they should be banned, meaning not allowed on your person, but its use certainly needs to be curtailed. It should NEVER be ringing while on duty. You should not be chatting on it incessantly or texting non stop.

I have not owned a cell phone since 2000 and I only had it for almost 2 years prior to getting rid of it. It is not essential equipment, life does go on without it. People are forgetting how to interface with other humans, how to have a decent conversation with someone next to you. It is much easier to ignore the stranger beside you as you text away than it is to be brave and start an intelligent adult conversation.

I like technology, but it needs its limitations.

I have more rant, pizza arrived, will write later.

When the cell phones first became of a pocket size, the NYC EMS had policy we weren't to carry them. After the merger into the FDNY, that changed to carry it concealed, and on vibrate.

My opinion is in line with New York State Vehicle and Traffic Laws, simplified down to "if you're driving, you're not on the phone. If you're on the phone, you're not driving. One or the other, or tickets, fines, and points on your license".

What I couldn't understand is, I heard one of my ambulances given a call, and seconds later, my partner's cell phone buzzed (set to vibrate), with a call from the Tech who was driving, telling us he was driving to a call.

Excuse you! Everyone on the division heard you get the call, as well as the scannists with the Radio Shack police monitors, so stay the hell off the cell phone, and concentrate on driving to the call, and the call itself!

For the record, I don't own a cell phone, but might sometimes, for special purposes, borrow my mom's "in case of emergency" or to let her know I'm done with the special trip and am on the way back, so she should start dinner.

I have to mention that when I was hospitalized with the aneurysm in my leg, the Paramedics used their cell phone to call the OLMC to get permission to go to a distant hospital outside the FDNY's "10 Minute Rule", and the Paramedic riding the back lent his cell to my mother, so she could call my sister to let her know we were on the way to the hospital (Thanks yet again, Giovanni).

If you brought the tv on to the truck and watched HBO in front of the patient, and while driving, it would be the same thing. there is a reason many stations do not allow the tv to come on, or for you to sleep during "business hours".

3rd petpeeve: Nextels or any direct connect radio/phone. The phone has a button to cut the external speaker off. If i wanted to talk to your girlfriend, I would call her. I do not need to listen to both ends of the conversation, its bad enough that I have to listen to you screaming into the handset.

And although, I have absolutely no scientific proof to back up my claim, my guess is that 99% of all of these conversations are personal, and not of an emergent nature.

But you want cell phones BANNED. I assume this to include your entire shift. So whats the diffrence.

We have personal conversations at work all the time. You mean to tell me 100% of the conversation you have with your partner, or the other crews, is ALWAYS business? I say ban personal conversations at work.

In fact, from now on, no more than 3 people are allowed in the station. Any more requires a member of management to be present. The first non work-related comment overheard gets you right into the progressive disicplne system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.