Ban Personal Cell Phones From Ambulance

A veteran medic posted a letter to his coworkers, that read something like this:

HEY TEXTER

It is amazing for me to watch EMT’s/Medics who will not enter a patient’s room until they know every disease that a patient has ever had, and what PRECAUTIONS they should take to protect themselves. But they then immediately climb behind the driver’s seat of an ambulance and begin TEXTING as they drive down the road. Not one or two messages, but an all day message-thon.

Scientific studies have proven that talking on a cell phone while driving reduces your driving ability to that of a drunk driver, and that is with both eyes on the road most of the time. I don’t have to imagine what texting does, as I feel it every time you run off the road, hit a curb, or hear the sound of a honking horn as you accidentally drift into the other lane.

The number one killer of EMS Professionals is not C-Diff, MRSA, AIDS, or Tuberculosis. The NUMBER ONE KILLER of EMS Professionals is still ambulance accidents. So if you are really all about safety, please practice the same level of caution behind the wheel that you practice before you touch a patient. I have yet to see anyone receive and EMERGENCY TEXT MESSAGE, so I doubt it is necessary to conduct this activity while driving. If you do not care about your own life, at least show a little professionalism/respect towards your partner and patient

I am amazed by this generation's need to constantly be on the cell-phone, talking or texting, especially while on duty. The veteran medics in this room can remember a time when you worked a 24hour shift and called home once during your shift to make sure everything was OK. If you had an emergency, your significant other would call dispatch, and they would contact you. Then came pagers, which allowed for a little more direct contact, but they rarely went off.

But today, those cell phones ring constantly, and what is amazing is that many people have no problem answering the phone while on a call, or while transporting a patient. The patient should never hear a cellphone ring, much less hear their emergency responders talking on the cellphone (except to call the hospital and give report) while in their care.

I beg of EMS managers everywhere, "Ban These Evil Devices". If for no other reason, in the name of SAFETY. If you are going to let them text/talk and drive, you might as well let them drink Jack Daniels on-duty, as the outcome is the same.

And, please, dont even start with, "but I have kids and they need to be able to get in touch with me, in case of emergency". I have heard these cellphone calls for years, and i have yet to hear anyone get an emergency phone call while onduty. And if you do have an emergency, your family can call dispatch or your supervisor like we did in the old days.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with banning. I agree no talking or texting while driving, while with a patient, or while in the hospital. In fact often my cell has become the link to hospital or even dispatch when we have radio problems or out of radio range.

This is again a case of one size does not fit all. If you are in a service that runs none stop entire shift the above would mean you would never use phone for personal use. In my area though why should my 2-3 calls a day keep me from being able to use my phone. Almost no blanket statements work in EMS.

Show me someone that only has "1" 2-3 minute conversation per shift, and I will agree with you. But you know that is not the norm. The next biggest killer of medics is going to be brain TUMORS from having a cellphone attached to your ear every day for 10-12 hours total.

I totally agree. It is very unprofessional to be talking with someone else while you should be giving patient care.

No way should the driver be talking or texting. We have gone so far as to put up signs in our ambulance that states 'no cell phones', as just a reminder.

Safety is the issue as well as professionalism.

Spenac has it right. Our service banned them completely due to a few dorks... the scatter gun approach. They rescinded the ban a few months later. The rules are what he stated and so far its working... (1 1/2 months with no problems)

Spenac has it right. Our service banned them completely due to a few dorks... the scatter gun approach. They rescinded the ban a few months later. The rules are what he stated and so far its working... (1 1/2 months with no problems)

And first time someone is fired for violating that policy everyone else will comply for now on. Seen it.

Just out of curiosity, would that mean you can't CARRY them with you? or that you just can't have them on? I always have my cell phone with me while on runs, I never get a call during the run and if I happen to get a text message during the run I simply turn off my cell phone and wait until we're back at station to answer it. I see no reason to ban the person who was in back from using theirs when there is no patient in back, as for the driver they can wait until they're done at the hospital or back at station to do their talking/ texting.

Defiant 1 - our rule says the have to be on vibrate. Any audible tone from a personal cell phone while on shift is a violation. I personally turn mine off and check it between runs. Anyone that knows me knows to leave a voice mail when I am on duty.

Show me someone that only has "1" 2-3 minute conversation per shift, and I will agree with you. But you know that is not the norm. The next biggest killer of medics is going to be brain TUMORS from having a cellphone attached to your ear every day for 10-12 hours total.

My cell phone actually gets very little use, even when I am working (ignoring calls dealing with official business). Besides, why does it matter if someone is using a cell phone between calls provided they aren't driving?

And, please, dont even start with, "but I have kids and they need to be able to get in touch with me, in case of emergency". I have heard these cellphone calls for years, and i have yet to hear anyone get an emergency phone call while onduty. And if you do have an emergency, your family can call dispatch or your supervisor like we did in the old days.

While I'm on the job during a call and a family emergency happened, my wife knows to call me multiple times to let me know that something is wrong. If my phone rings or vibrants once, I'll immediately turn it off. If it rings again and again, I'll know that something is wrong. However, I'll finish out my call first and then attend to my business. Besides, my wife knows my supervisor's number and has called it before when I forgot to let her know that I made it on the job safely.

Oops :)

There's one guy in my agency who would ALWAYS be on that cell phone. Someone told me that he was texting while driving code three!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.