Alphabet Soup (Continuing Education Classes)

SANDMEDIC

Would like to compile a list of classes available to Paramedic/ EMT's for continuing education purposes.

So here's where I need your help. Please add any classes that you know of.

Please post the full name of the course as well.

I was wondering of all the classes available, which would you say are worth it.

Here is my list to date, some I plan on taking but others are FYI.

Some have been left out like PALS and PEPP, ACLS as most of us know them well.

ACLS-EP Advanced Cardiac Life Support-Experienced Provider

EP-C- Emergency Pediatric Care

ABLS- Advanced Burn Life Support

AHMLS- Advanced HazMat Life Support

FRT- Farm Rescue Technician

AMLS- Advanced Medical Life Support

BDLS- Basic Disaster Life Support

ATLS- Advanced Trauma Life Support (Audit)

STABLE-Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood pressure, Lab work, and Emotional support. (Neonatal)

OBSTAT- High Risk OB transport

CCEMT-P- Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program-UMBC (I STAND CORRECTED)

FP-C- Flight Paramedic Certification

GEMS- Geriatric EMS

ITLS- International Trauma Life Support (Formerly known as BTLS)

NRP- Neonatal Resuscitation

EVOC- Emergency Vehicle Operators Course

OK so what else is available out there in the world of EMS.

• Like 1

CCEMT-P- Critical Care Paramedic-UMBC

It stands for Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program, not Critical Care Paramedic.

CCEMTP is trademarked by UMBC. It is available to RNs and RRTs also.

CCEMT-P may be a license level granted by a state or a title (job description) given out by the agency you work for after as little as 2 hours of training in the back room of the station.

STABLE-Neonatal Stuff

STABLE: Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood pressure, Lab work, and Emotional support.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

I wasn't aware of the particulars, it is surely on my radar for obtaining next year.

I know these alphabet soup courses are considered merit badges and shouldn't be treated as a huge intensive education and definitely shouldn't be listed after your name like a PhD. (Ala Joe Shmo NREMTB, ITLS, NRP, ACLS, Switfwater 1, fingerpainting 3...)

What I'm wondering is if they're still worthwhile as CME. Or if there are some that are more worthwhile than others?

I've got the chance to take ACLS and NRP at school next semester and am wondering if it's worth the cost at this point in my education?

I know these alphabet soup courses are considered merit badges and shouldn't be treated as a huge intensive education and definitely shouldn't be listed after your name like a PhD. (Ala Joe Shmo NREMTB, ITLS, NRP, ACLS, Switfwater 1, fingerpainting 3...)

What I'm wondering is if they're still worthwhile as CME. Or if there are some that are more worthwhile than others?

I've got the chance to take ACLS and NRP at school next semester and am wondering if it's worth the cost at this point in my education?

The education while limited is still beneficial. It will help you grasp what is done in a code. In the USA many services require current ACLS, PALS, and CPR cards to work.