Perfect Ambulance Design ...............

If this subject has been addressed already, I apologize, but I searched and I didnt see it pop-up. Obviously, ambulances have improved quite abit during our industry's short history. If you could design the perfect ambulance, what would you add, what would you take away. And please, lets not get into jacuzzis, wetbars, and a fold out bed for the tech, lets be serious. Some of the changes I would make:

1. Design it with the safety of the "tech" in mind. No sharp corners or cabinets to strike your head on. Padding behind the head on the jump seat, or change to individual captains chairs with 3 point seat belts.

2. A heated compartment or shelf for IV fluids.

3. LBB compartment on passenger side instead of street side.

4. Extended cab in the front if using van chassis. Premium seats, no carpet in the cab.

5. A flourescent light(s) that run directly above the patient, front to back, not one on each side running left to right. It seems the lights are always in the wrong space.

6. Heated LBB compartment -- always hated putting a naked trauma pt on 40 degree board (tried to keep one in the patient compartment when it was really cold out.

7. I would like to see an ambulance designed from the ground up, instead of just slapping a box on a truck chassis.

8. Design a box that wouldnt collapse during roll over (yes it has been done, but most companies still use the cheap, spot-welded boxes, that fall apart.

What are your suggestions ?

Not sure if its the kind of door you are talking about, but I saw a rural metro truck not too long ago when i was in the states, that had a back door that opened up with two shock absorbers (like you would find in an SUV), and the side box door slid open like a minivans -- looked neat, couldnt stop to ask the guys what they thought about it.

Not sure if its the kind of door you are talking about, but I saw a rural metro truck not too long ago when i was in the states, that had a back door that opened up with two shock absorbers (like you would find in an SUV), and the side box door slid open like a minivans -- looked neat, couldnt stop to ask the guys what they thought about it.

My opinion:

The Door that opends "UP" sucks!!!

Below -25 it won't stay up on it's own, and if your not careful, the IV pole on the cot smashes the back window (twice actually) covering the patient in glass.

AND at 6'3 I crack my scull on it at least twice a year.

Thank gawd it is our mechanical backup.

My opinion:

The Door that opends "UP" sucks!!!

Below -25 it won't stay up on it's own, and if your not careful, the IV pole on the cot smashes the back window (twice actually) covering the patient in glass.

AND at 6'3 I crack my scull on it at least twice a year.

Thank gawd it is our mechanical backup.

The one I'm thinking of is like those in England where the back door folds down. Wheel cot onto it. Entire door lowers flat to ground. After words wheel patient on cot back onto it. Lifts level. Push cot in, then door closes. Medics do no lifting. In the topic I mentioned there are pictures of it. http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...+back+door+lift

Here's what mine have:

1. Design it with the safety of the "tech" in mind. No sharp corners or cabinets to strike your head on. Padding behind the head on the jump seat, or change to individual captains chairs with 3 point seat belts.

Padded Cabinet Corner, Netting at head of squad bench, 3 point harness in the new one.

2. A heated compartment or shelf for IV fluids.

And a fridge too.

3. LBB compartment on passenger side instead of street side.

Got that

4. Extended cab in the front if using van chassis. Premium seats, no carpet in the cab.

Got the last two, don't know what you mean with the Extended Cab, the longer cab you mean?

5. A flourescent light(s) that run directly above the patient, front to back, not one on each side running left to right. It seems the lights are always in the wrong space.

Ours are incandescent...although fluorescent is an option.

6. Heated LBB compartment -- always hated putting a naked trauma pt on 40 degree board (tried to keep one in the patient compartment when it was really cold out.

There is a nice idea...

7. I would like to see an ambulance designed from the ground up, instead of just slapping a box on a truck chassis.

8. Design a box that wouldnt collapse during roll over (yes it has been done, but most companies still use the cheap, spot-welded boxes, that fall apart.

Federal standards require the vehicle roll cage to be able to withstand 7 times the weight of the vehicle.

What are your suggestions ?

I'll think on more....Wife is calling for movie nite.

I was poking around on Google looking for a picture of the lifts on the ambulance and found this picture of one with a ramp. What I found interesting and potentially more practical about it was it doesn't look like it stick out as far as some I've seen making parking in a tighter area easier. Also, notice how much lower to the ground it looks.

Can any of the UK providers out there speak to how well this concept works? I look promising, though perhaps cramped like the old Type II's.

- Matt

With our recent purchase, we always kept the PPE stuff in the compartments over the bench. New ambulances aren't allowed to have those any more. All sorts of wasted space. I'd like to see a redesigned, improved, stretcher hanger in its place. Sometimes, an extra place for another patient would be really helpful when we can't get back up or mutual aid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.