New EMT

traumajunkie89

welcome to the dark side!

Good luck, holidays are kind of 50/50, can be busy or dead just take it with stride.

I've been an EMT for 7 years and still learning and happy with my job.

Welcome to the club, Arrianne. Holidays are either busy or dead slow. (no pun intended). Don't think of things being difficult. Think of them being different. Pace yourself if you're feeling a little overwhelmed. Learn from those around you and what goes on around you.

Hang around here and you'll learn a lot too. Don't be afraid to ask questions of any kind. You name it, we've got ya covered.

Have fun, you'll be fine. :D

Thank you guys for the replys it does help.I've been struggling through my first few calls but Im getting better.Im taking classes online constantly to stay refreshed.Look forward to talking to all of you more!

You're quite welcomed.

For someone who is a "trauma junkie" you wouldn't think you would be struggling. Or has traumas really peaked your interest? It's fine if it has. But if you feel like you are still struggling, just get on here and talk it out. PM someone if you're not wanting to go public.

On-line classes are fine, but don't substitute it for actual classroom and field experience.

I am struggling to get calls.I am 7 minutes from my nearest firehouse and I can never get to the station fast enough.The calls I have had are all trauma somehow.I seem to always get car accidents right next to where I live.The one thing I struggle most with is getting people to take me seriously.When I tell them what I think,they ignore me.Just because im 19 doesnt mean im incompetent.I also cant find a paying job in MD.I know alot of people are dealing with the same thing.Does anyone know how to go about getting nationaly registered?My friend lives in Delaware and said there are alot of job openings.Hopefully I can get more calls soon.I need an adrenaline rush :lol:

Register at www.nremt.org and they should be able to help you find a test site.

Do you run the calls or are you backup and driver? If you are backup and driver, just make sure you are a good support for the person running the call and know where your equipment is (and drive safe). If your running the call, just be open to the unexpected and roll with it. In the BLS world, we just need to follow protocols, get good history, give appropriate interventions, and give them a ride to the hospital. Try to have fun... when necessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.