I'm having a stroke!!!!

ERDoc

This just screams of nerve damage, only trouble is finding the mechanism. I'm not betting on an obscure medical condition just yet, still thinking trauma.. The defecit is local, so the mechanism must be as well.

Perhaps some type of ischemic damage to the nerve running through the knee..?

How long does he typically sit with his weight on the sling? How long was he in that position today?

Has he ever experienced ANYTHING similar or heard of something like this from his colleagues?

Normally he uses the harness for 1-2 hours per day. Today he used it for over 4 hours because of some difficulty with a tree. He has never had anything like this before. The harness straps to his leg at about the level of the fibular head.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be :

compartment syndrome or Putti-Chavany syndrome.

It doesn't have to be, and in this case it isn't, but you all are so close. So, this guy has foot drop with parasthesias and wears a harness at the level of the fibular head. Anyone?

With the location, I would suspect damage to the peroneal nerve.

Take care,

chbare.

WINNER!!!!!!!!!! The harness was causing compression of the peroneal nerve at the fibular head (most common site of injury) causing him to be unable to dorsiflex the ankle and toes. We had a similar case a few months ago here but it was a Saturday Night Palsy instead (maybe someone can find the link).