Activated Charcoal Use In The Field

How often do give Charcoal when it is needed, and not contraindicated ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Never
    • > than 20%
    • > 50%

Along that line, the charcoal we used to give was premixed with Sorbitol (a laxative) which was very sweet. The taste was quite pleasant, but it was gritty. But now...we have removed Sorbitol from prehosptial use, so we are stuck with the grit, I guess.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some certain circumstances that Activated Charcoal is warranted and alike described Sorbital should be used for adults. I even still promote NG irrigation especially in cases for TCA (<30 minutes ingestion). I have found mixing chocolate milk (if possible) most people including kids will drink activated charcoal.

Yes, most of the time when EMS is notified it is too late for traditional treatments. After 30 minutes the medication has usually made it into the GI tract and absorption has occurred.

R/r 911

Used it once, pt. gagged and we had little black dots everywhere. It's not required any longer, so we don't carry it. However, when we did, it was a powder in a canister. You'd mix in either bottled or sterile water, replace the cap and shake it. We tasted it once, before throwing an expired bottle away. Kind of like a mix between Ink and the smell of latex paint.

We were required to carry both Epicac and Act.Charcoal. There were times on OD's that while talking to Medical Control you could swear you heard the doc in the back ground giggling when giving the order. What the doc didn't sometimes know was how close we were, no longer than three min. ETA. So if you gave Epicac, if they didn't puke immediately. Or "We couldn't get the NG tube down in a moving amb. So usually the ER got the best of both worlds.

But we did have one gal that took the Epicac and told her to just sit there and relax. No sooner did she lay back and it came up. And I swear it splattered on the ceiling, projectile vomiting.

I'll admit I've made some funny noises, turn my head and concentrated to not join them, but not once did I puke from a pt.

I don't know first hand the effectiveness of activated charcoal. The state of AZ allows me to give it, but my medical director doesn't. He is afraid that by EMS giving charcoal in the field, it will interfere with whatever chemical treatment he deems needed to that patient. Seems kind of selfish to me. Deny a treatment in the field because you want to be the hero??? I don't know, maybe there's more to that than what those of us in the field know. His reasoning for not allowing it that is.

I don't know first hand the effectiveness of activated charcoal. The state of AZ allows me to give it, but my medical director doesn't. He is afraid that by EMS giving charcoal in the field, it will interfere with whatever chemical treatment he deems needed to that patient. Seems kind of selfish to me. Deny a treatment in the field because you want to be the hero??? I don't know, maybe there's more to that than what those of us in the field know. His reasoning for not allowing it that is.

That's retarded...AzDHS requires it be on the trucks...he can't take it off. Just not let you use it? Perhaps one of the Docs can explain a potential for his rational...I don't get it.

A Doc who wants to play hero?!??! Yikes, sounds scary to me.

I have never given charcoal to anyone before. Apparently, from word of mouth by my co-workers next to me, we don't have to carry it in Pa in my county anymore. Take it with a grain of salt, though.... I'll have to look into that. Apparently a local instructor told an EMT class this not too long ago...... left field....coming back now... :roll:

I like the ideas of mixing it tho, thank you!! God forbid i have to give it, I'll remember those now.

I did once give Ipecac to a couple of babies who tried to eat some poisonous berries. WOW....WHAT A MESS>..... :shock: It was like that episode of Ipecac Family Guy combined with the Exorsist!!!!

That's retarded...AzDHS requires it be on the trucks...he can't take it off. Just not let you use it? Perhaps one of the Docs can explain a potential for his rational...I don't get it.

Yep, it makes no sense to me. And from the looks of it, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's on the hospital board now. We do carry the charcoal on oour rigs, but what I don't understand is....Even though the state says an emt is allowed to give it, why do our medics have to patch and get permission? Yes, you are understanding correctly. Our paramedics have to patch for a medication that can be given at and emt level. This particular medical director was already kicked out of one hospital, although I don't know the reasons why. He also tries to run the prehospital setting like a military. He came from the military so he's always trying to run things the way it was ran there. I wish we could have the old medical director back. He was pro ems and didn't have many restrictions on us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.