Activated Charcoal Use In The Field

How often do give Charcoal when it is needed, and not contraindicated ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Never
    • > than 20%
    • > 50%

My guess would be due to the possibility of aspiration and the inability of an EMT to intubate if the airway is compromised.

I doubt it, we can use non-visualized airways.

It is in the scope of Sask PCP's and they cannot even use non-visualized. If airway was the reason then they should not let us administer oral glocose either,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it, we can use non-visualized airways.

It is in the scope of Sask PCP's and they cannot even use non-visualized. If airway was the reason then they should not let us administer oral glocose either,

Well no-visualized airways don't really protect against aspiration the same way intubation does, nor do we have sedation or paralytics. Yes, I agree that you shouldn't even be attempting to give activated charcoal if there is any chance of airway compromise.

That said, I don't really know why activated charcoal isn't in our scope of practice, but that was the only explanation I could come up with, maybe ACP has a better reason.

although allowed by ACP, it seems a more and more medical directors are taking charcoal off car (for all providers). they feel a) its too rare that we truely get charcoal in the stomach in time; :lol: potential airway compromise.... not in that we're giving charcoal to obtunded patients, but that if there is any discrepancy in the time frame given by pt and bystanders, you may give charcoal to someone just before they go down and can no longer protect their airway; and c) its a b*tch to tube someone who has had charcoal

although allowed by ACP, it seems a more and more medical directors are taking charcoal off car (for all providers). they feel a) its too rare that we truely get charcoal in the stomach in time; B) potential airway compromise.... not in that we're giving charcoal to obtunded patients, but that if there is any discrepancy in the time frame given by pt and bystanders, you may give charcoal to someone just before they go down and can no longer protect their airway; and c) its a b*tch to tube someone who has had charcoal

And it is oh so messy. :puke: It stains everything it comes in contact with, and it definitely will not come out of clothes.

In the ER, the best way they do it is down an NG tube. But so many times they puke it all up within seconds of administrating it. And just getting an NG tube down is hard enough, especially when they are being uncooperative.

On more than one occasion I've heard those who did "OD" for attention say, "I'll never do that again." Just the ordeal of having the NG tube placed and the puking and taste of the charcoal was punishment enough to think twice before doing it again. But hopefully it will be a wake up call for them to get help. Surely almost any hospital has psych programs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.