Question on pelvic wraps / splinting

scope2776

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an unstable pelvis we use "zap straps". At least that's what we call them. They're wide elasticized straps that keep even pressure across the pelvis.

Have a pic or know where they buy them? Sounds interesting.

Have a pic or know where they buy them? Sounds interesting.

They are manufactured by PriMed. They look similar to the straps for applying a sager but are set up with velcro tabs so you can us them in multiples to get whatever length you need. They're also great for applying direct pressure to a wound instead of using a loop tie. PriMed didn't have a picture on their site so I'll have to have a hunt around for a picture. If I can't find one I'll just take a picture and post it.

does that answer your question? :lol: :wink:

330435468.jpg

314516127.jpg

Wow! That must have been a hell of an impact! I've heard of people getting a car emblem tattooed on their chest from the steering collum...but that C with a circle on it on bone! Wow! :lol:

That upside down KED works great. I have also used a sheet, folded in half, and then tied the opposing ends (the one distal on the Fx side to the one proximal on the non Fx side. Then pad under the knee as needed. This is not a super tight knot, but just snug enough to help keep large shifts in the hip. Also gives a place to help move the pt without large movement in the hips. If a pt is on their side, roll sheet under them and roll gently on their back, or use scoop to place them on cot and have sheet readied on cot. With the KED we just scooped them onto the cot and use the head padding as padding under the knee.

Michael

Hey Doc,

Isn't the Illium part of the hip? I did a little looking around and I see that bone listed as both a "pelvic" bone as well as a "hip" bone. It seems based on a quick internet search that the definitions between the two are not so sharp that the x-ray posted is definitively "hip" or "pelvis." I'll defer to you, though...

• 5 weeks later...
My question is: would you apply a pelvic wrap or commercial pelvic girdle/splint to this patient? Particularity the SAM pelvic sling?

Short answer - NO!!! I only apply a pelvic wrap when there is pelvic instability and I want to decrease bleeding from the fractures. It does this primarily by decreasing the overall pelvic volume and therefore the potential space into which blood can escape. Has no place in this particular scenario in what seems to be an isolated hip fracture.

On the SAM splint. They are pretty and work well however that cosmetic effect is not without a cost. I can acheive the same thing with a sheet and forceps and therefore believe that money could be better spent elsewhere - like my holiday fund. One can only dream!!

Till next time.

Stay safe,

Curse :evil:

I've never needed to wrap a hip fx. A pelvic fx, yes. When you have the rotation like that, it shows that something's up with the femoral neck and that area.

Here, we scoop em. Pad the scoop and under their knees so they are comfortable, and go. We've left some on the scoop at the ER until they went to x-ray when they were hurting really badly and x-ray was just about ready for them.

I have to admit that I once used a traction splint on a femur fx. The pt was c/o muscle spasms and had no pelvic pain. Her pain went from a 10/10 to a 7/10 when manual traction was applied, so we used a traction splint. Our local hospital took it off for transport to higher level of care. The doc at the hospital we trasfered her to asked why the ER here took it off if it helped the pt's pain level. He actually complimented me for putting it on in the first place (listening to the pt and treating the pt and thinking outside the box) and told me that I should have followed my gut and put it back on even though the doc here told me not to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.