On the flip side....

sirduke

Since we have a topic about what students shouldn't do on practicals/clinicals which ever you prefer, I thought I'd offer a different angle on the same thing.

I'm sure this will cause some ire amongst the city dwellers, but here it is.

Things not to do as a Preceptor.

Treat the student as a personal servant, they are there to learn, not fetch your coffee and snacks.

Make snide remarks to other people about the student within the students hearing.

Refuse to allow the student to assist or attempt procedures, then tell the student he/she isn't aggressive enough.

Inform the student his/her instructor is an idiot for teaching something that disagrees with your protocol or personal preference.

Make sexual innundendo to your assigned student.

Try to screw your way through the students of your preference.

And perhaps last but not least, don't be a ass to your student just because you've had a bad day and they can't defend themselves without fear of censure by their instructor.

Do not expect to speak less than 100 words to the student the whole day and then try to bring up your concerns at the end of the day when signing the student's paperwork....you already lost any respect you had....and just gained an enemy. :evil:

No, I agree with all of your comments. I use the principles that Peter Canning set out in his " Letter to a Preceptee"

http://medicscribe.blogspot.com/2007/03/le...-preceptee.html

Sirduke - great thread - thanks!

And Welsh, that is a great link to Peter Canning's blog... I am going to send that link to all the preceptors I work with...

Originally posted in the 10 student rules thread, now moved to here:

Students please realize this of your preceptor:

1. It is important for you to be early, but realize that your practicals will not start on time because:

two preceptors called out sick at the last moment, and one of them was supposed to bring the check sheets. Of the ones that did show up, 4 are on smoke break, and three are busy taking a large BM after drinking their second gallon of coffee that a.m.

2. Those who can, DO; those who cant DO, dispatch; those who cant dispatch, teach.

3. Your preceptors are divorced, and havent been laid in over 6 months (with a partner) so this is their form of sexual gratification -- screwing you -- they cant wait for you to screw up the order of KED straps so that they can fail you.

4. Do not argue with your dictator, i mean preceptor, they are always right. It doesnt matter that what you saw during your third rides in real life contradicts everything that is occuring in their scenario. Keep your mouth shut and do it as they want --- this will be the last time you ever see them in your life, unless you attend a star-trek convention.

5. You know what the difference is between a female EMS preceptor and an elephant? About 200lbs, but you can force feed the elephant to make them equal out. Whatever you say, do not make any derrogatory statements about cats. Cats are gods in their worlds, any negative statements will get you an automatic fail. Try bribing them with a lime colored moo-moo to wear at home, a gift certificate to the local buffet, or a rainbow sticker for their saturn's bumper.

That should stir up some answers from the other side.

2. Those who can, DO; those who cant DO, dispatch; those who cant dispatch, teach.

This is a real pet-peve of mine. I LOVE to teach.... but for some reason in EMS (and related fields) we have the above mentality that hinders me from getting too serious about instructing.

My Pharmacology instructor is a 12 year full time RN at UofAlberta Hospital and a casual EMT-P with 2 rural services.... he can DO better that most medics out there, he is also a full time Pharm instructor!

OK time for more coffee.

4. Do not argue with your dictator, i mean preceptor, they are always right. It doesnt matter that what you saw during your third rides in real life contradicts everything that is occuring in their scenario. Keep your mouth shut and do it as they want --- this will be the last time you ever see them in your life, unless you attend a star-trek convention.

Dang, I didn't know you did your clinicals at AMH too !!!

You have just described the preceptor we called "The Chihuahua", she was the most anal retentive person I've ever met.