New Jersey

djmedic

I am not sure this is the correct forum to post this in...If it is placed in the wrong spot please me know and I will fix it.

I am contemplating moving to NJ and I am requesting help with reciprocity. I have my NY, NH and National Registry as a medic.

I am also curious on how the pay stacks up in NJ. I know NJ is expensive to live but what is the base pay?

Thanx for any help in advance,

-DJ

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ-

First off, ALS in New Jersey is all hospital based, mostly intercept work. In order to qualify for reciprocity you have to be sponsered by one of the hospitals. If you have a vaild national registry card you can be granted a temp certification number that is good for 6 months, at teh end of that time the hospital either withdrawls sponsership and you loose your NJ card or they approve of you and the state cuts you a two year card just like the rest of us. Pay rate depends on the hospital, but where I am it ranges from 18.00 - 32.00 / hour. If you'd like more information PM me, we are hiring full timers.

It seems they were going good till about 1973.. then all of a sudden, someone lost their calendar. They're still working on the transition to 1974, but with enough time.*[sup:28044631c4]1[/sup:28044631c4] I'm sure they'll accomplish it.

*[sup:28044631c4]1[/sup:28044631c4][spoil:28044631c4]Sarcasm[/spoil:28044631c4]

It seems they were going good till about 1973.. then all of a sudden' date=' someone lost their calendar. They're still working on the transition to 1974, but with enough time.*[sup:7b107d5664']1[/sup:7b107d5664] I'm sure they'll accomplish it.

care to explain further what you are trying to say?

Go to any EMS forum and just type in New Jersey and see all the postings. Any state that still has "first-aid" squads in lieu of EMS and many numerous other blunders.

I agree one state to avoid for a future in EMS or even to drive through......just in case something could happen.

R/r911

Rid is right. You can search these forums and find endless threads, topics, posts and discussions on the shortcomings of not only the State of New Jersey but also the EMS system, or lack thereof.

New Jersey EMS is run by "first aid squads". They are volunteers stuck on the notion that EMS is still a hobby. ALS is hospital based as was mentioned previously. But they still fall under regulations set up and supported by these hobbyists. ALS coverage, for most of the state, is scarce at best. I know several paramedics who still work in various parts of the state and they are, routinely, the *only* paramedic for an *entire* county of several hundred thousand people.

It is not a good system. It is not a system which benefits the residents of the state. It is not a system that provides the care the residents deserve.

Please seriously consider just how deep a hole you'd be digging for yourself by working in NJ. Please research NJEMS thoroughly. Please research the hospitals providing ALS coverage thoroughly.

With any luck, you'll soon realize the best thing about NJ is seeing it in your rear view mirror as you're leaving the state.

Good luck.

-be safe

Take a look at some NJ EMS forum sites and you will find the volunteers bashing any thought of adding Paramedics, claiming it is a waste and a good basic is better than any Paramedic. No I am not listing those sites as they are a disgrace to my profession.

I'll play devil's advocate....

Why does all that matter to the individual doing the work that he is the only medic in the region? Doesn't that mean that he has a better chance of getting a high volume of high acuity calls (which is what many want)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.