Something I wrote today...

akflightmedic

No matter how much of a distraction though' date=' reality always prevails. You still have your family to provide for, children to raise, jobs to attend to. Time is slipping by; you get older, as is the wall.[/quote']

I have given your story more thought. I do not mean to just be blindly guessing, but I think the wall could be a representation of your death.

You would not comprehend death at a very young age.

Beautiful. I was surprised when the wall transformed into symbol - other walls for other children - which worked for me. Pretty skillful to turn a cycle of life within one page. I'm impressed.

If you haven't yet read James Agee's short autobiographical novel A Death in the Family, it's time to do so, both for the descriptive writing and the perspective of a child. For strong, though darker, metaphor, Jorge Luis Borges's short story "The Library of Babel" is powerful, surely more so if you read Spanish.

Nice work, and thank you for placing it out here.

As a small child growing up next to the ocean' date=' I passed many wonderful days in its midst. I suppose my reverence for the ocean was seeded long before I was able to comprehend its awesome power and importance on life. My mother, fearful of the massive waves pounding the surf and crashing upon the rock wall, bravely introduced me to this phenomenon simply by bringing me into this world. [/quote']

Though you reference the sea, as well as your life, I see the sea representing your life here. It’s the way a child would see it, with all of it’s power, and excitement, pure and exhilarating without the necessary knowledge to be fearful. Your mother exposed you, for better or for worse, simply by bearing you, though she has the experience to know that you don’t belong near “real life” yet. The conflict of the protective needs of the mother with the pure joy of ignorance of the child.

Yeah, OK, my thoughts are almost certainly a bunch of crap. But I had to take my shot, despite the fact that Matty’s thoughts make WAY more sense than mine.

Yeah, OK, my thoughts are almost certainly a bunch of crap. But I had to take my shot, despite the fact that [s:166bdd601b]Matty’s[/s:166bdd601b] Dwayne's thoughts make WAY more sense than mine.

Its funny we were thinking the same things about each other's posts. :wink:

ak I wrote something similar in nature about a month ago. I did not post it because it's deeply personal.

I see this story as a return to your childhood and something that can never happen. I too wish that I can return to childhood yet I know that it is impossible.

Your writing is very good. I'll post mine sometime but not quite yet.

one thing I would recommend is for you to read the book "the last lecture" and see what comes of your writing then.

I don't for one instant think that the wall or the ocean is you thinking about your death but then again, dreams are funny in ways you never expect. You can be dreaming about one thing yet it actually means something else.

I long to see and read more from ya.

ak I wrote something similar in nature about a month ago. I did not post it because it's deeply personal.

I see this story as a return to your childhood and something that can never happen. I too wish that I can return to childhood yet I know that it is impossible.

Your writing is very good. I'll post mine sometime but not quite yet.

one thing I would recommend is for you to read the book "the last lecture" and see what comes of your writing then.

I don't for one instant think that the wall or the ocean is you thinking about your death but then again, dreams are funny in ways you never expect. You can be dreaming about one thing yet it actually means something else.

I long to see and read more from ya.

Thanks Ruff. Mine too is deeply personal, it is the risk we take amongst friends, family and strangers when we open it and share. Regardless, thanks.

As for the book, did you mean this one?

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...t+lecture+randy

or this one?

or this one?

Despite the same name for the thread, I evidently missed you guys posting on this twice before I did, even thought I posted in one of the threads...LOL

I will share what I meant when I wrote it after a few more people respond per their request.

And this piece has generated a lot of healthy discussion with several people off line that I have greatly enjoyed. A couple of them have me convinced it is not about what I thought it was about. :D

any of those links will work. I have finished my last lecture and I have decided never to post it as it's too deeply personal. Maybe after I reflect and digest just what exactly I wrote and what it means.

I learned a lot about myself after finishing it.

No worries Ruff, when you said you wrote something similar, I imagined a short essay as I did, not your last lecture.

This certainly is not my last lecture, if it were, I would hope it encompassed a few more paragraphs than this did. :D

I probably would not post a last lecture at this time either.