Stupid 911 calls clog system, put safety at risk

Niftymedi911

haha I'm aware of the cranberry shirts but that would be a different service than mine. Unfortunately it sounds like your experience wasn't that unique. We've got the same issue here ... :D

Sorry about the off topic....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know what the rules are in other states but here in AZ if someone says "I want to go to the hospital" we have to take them no matter what. and i have never felt that was right. i would love to see a system where we can deny patients a ride to the hospital IF its obvious that there is no emergency. i know that's taking on alot of liability for EMS workers, but i think if ems started refusing transport on bullshit calls, maybe we could see some change. the medical director i have tells our frequent flyers that never have a true complaint and always get discharged with nothing found wrong with them that if they come back to the hospital and nothing is wrong with them he will have them arrested for trespassing. suprisingly it has worked on some of these patients. most people dont agree with this kind of practice, but something has got to give.

the police in our area i feel abuse the system just as much. since when does a drunk person become an emergency and need to be taken to the hospital? i mean seriously!!!! they are so lazy and instead of taking them to jail or holding them overnight til they sober up, they would rather just call us.

and those stupid wannabe suicides....dont call us unless you've actually attempted. or the oh so favorite, i've been in pain for four days now and its 2 am and ive decided that now its an emergency....

perhaps if we didnt have to be so professional to these idiots and we could actually speak our minds and tell them "Hey fuck head, this isnt an emergency and you need to drive yourself to the hospital" maybe we would see a decrease in that as well.

at what point did EMS become all about customer service??? we dont need the money from every patient that calls us.....

i dont know what the rules are in other states but here in AZ if someone says "I want to go to the hospital" we have to take them no matter what.

I've been in the business about 10 yrs in the Tucson area, and I know of no "law of the land" that states that. It is, however MOST companies' policy to "you call, we haul," which is ultimately crap.

Here's a link to AzDHS' list of "rules": http://www.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_09/9-25.pdf

And another one for the state statutes: http://www.azdhs.gov/bems/ems_statutes.pdf

These are the state polices and "rules" that govern what we do in AZ.

I've been in the business about 10 yrs in the Tucson area, and I know of no "law of the land" that states that. It is, however MOST companies' policy to "you call, we haul," which is ultimately crap.

Here's a link to AzDHS' list of "rules": http://www.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_09/9-25.pdf

And another one for the state statutes: http://www.azdhs.gov/bems/ems_statutes.pdf

These are the state polices and "rules" that govern what we do in AZ.

I actually posted that as a topic and no one ever provided anything beyond service protocols that said anything like you call we haul.

So I guess there is no law.

In Texas we actually asked the state and were told it is up to the service and medical director if you can say no. My part time we say no all the time. My full time I get fired if I hint they don't need the ambulance.

Of course we all know that this happens way too much. It's the same principle where people think they can use the ER as a free clinic. Or they think that 911 is their only way of getting help, even if it's just something done around the house. To them it is an emergency, especially the elderly. Whish there was an easy/ easier way to educate the public of when to call or not call 911.

Yes, it can clog the system, and I wish I had better answer to help elevate that. But education of the public plus may be have another agency that an be dispatched to go to help out. And if EMS is needed they can call to have a unit respond.

Mass is a no refusal state..meaning we can't refuse to transport anyone for any reason. Unfortunately, our local hospital refuses to properly triage pt's that come in by ambulance, you come in by ambulance you get a bed, no questions asked, even if we suggest that they get placed in the waiting room, so the freq. flyers don't learn.

Mass is a no refusal state..meaning we can't refuse to transport anyone for any reason. Unfortunately, our local hospital refuses to properly triage pt's that come in by ambulance, you come in by ambulance you get a bed, no questions asked, even if we suggest that they get placed in the waiting room, so the freq. flyers don't learn.

Can you provide the state law that states that? Thanks.

It's the same principle where people think they can use the ER as a free clinic.

On that note I have to ask... what is one to do when they quite litterally cant afford to go to a walk-in-medical center?

(This isnt really my personal situation... just a scenario): Say for instance I make minimum wage... and dont get bennefits. The job market is crap and no matter what I do I can not find a better job, nor can I afford indapendant insurance (whatever its called where you take out a polocy outside work). Maybe I have some other mouths to feed also? Now I get sick or hurt... but not seriously enough that it needs to be treated right away... but all doctors offices and clinics want $200 up front to do anything. Im a hard working American, doing the very best I can to support my family... perhaps I do get insurance but I havnt been their long enough... or it dosnt cover my family.

I guess my point/question is... even if someone isnt purposley abusing aid/welfare/etc.... they are truley working the best and hardest they can, is it wrong they go to the ER?

I know that the point is many people who DONT need to go, whether they can afford it or their just to dumb and/or lazy to realize, will go anyways and it happens on a large scale that it crowds ED's. But is it wrong for someone whos trying to make due but cant.... to go to the ED for treatment, possibly waste a bed for a true emergency, and not knowing if they will ever be able to pay the bill when it comes... all because they cant make a co-pay or down payment at a regular office? Even if they truley try to make ends meet financially.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.