Stupid 911 calls clog system, put safety at risk

Niftymedi911

Stupid 911 calls clog system, put safety at risk

Originally posted on: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 by Kara Kenney

Last updated on: 11/5/2008 6:32:19 PM

LEE COUNTY: For 3 months, NBC2 Investigators have been working with emergency services collecting calls and riding with paramedics. We discovered a large number of calls coming into 911 are for anything but an emergency, which puts your safety at risk.

911 operator: What is the address of your emergency?

Caller: We are at the corner of Edison and Cleveland-- 3 car accident at least with injuries

It's Friday night and multiple calls are coming into the 911.

But this story isn't about people who call 911 for a real emergency. This story is about the 40 percent of calls that aren't for an emergency at all.

Some examples:

911: What's your emergency?

Caller: Um, yes I locked my two keys in the car.

Caller: I'm depressed because [expletive deleted] Obama's going to get the thing

911: What's going to happen? Obama's going to get what?

Caller: He's going to get elected.

Caller: She needs to go to the hospital because she has a toothache

Caller: Yeah I ran out of gas.

Caller: I'm at the Chik Fil A on Colonial and I'm trying to get an ambulance to move and they won't move. I'm parked here in the heat, I'm about to need an ambulance myself.

911: So, you are not having a real medical emergency right now?

Caller: It will be if I sit here in this heat any longer!

The four days we rode along with EMS, only 2 cases were truly life threatening emergencies.

"Typically 911 is the first thing people think of, and it's the easiest thing because it's guaranteed," said Paramedic Robert Bertulli.

When people call 911 unnecessarily, it puts a strain on the system and puts your safety at risk.

"It happens all the time," said Bertulli.

When crews are tied up on a call for a stubbed toe or nosebleed, EMS must shuffle ambulances and your ambulance could be coming from farther away.

"Inevitably someone's going to suffer as a result of calls made that are unnecessary," said Bertulli.

Only 20-percent of the calls that come into 911 are truly life threatening emergencies - like heart attacks.

Forty-percent of calls are emergencies – not life threatening, but serious enough you shouldn't be driving to a hospital.

The remaining 40-percent of calls are not emergencies at all.

"We still handle it as we regularly would because it's protocol," said Angelina Ursitti, a 911 call taker.

EMS is obligated to go on all the calls to 911.

"If you call we're going to send you an ambulance," said Lieutenant Janet Quinn of Lee County Public Safety.

Despite the obvious drain on resources, NBC2 uncovered there's little that can be done to stop 911 abuse.

Lee County says the solution isn't arresting people, it's educating them.

The more time and resources emergency crews have to save lives, means they have a better chance at saving yours.

"Please don't abuse it-- because someday you're really going to have an emergency and you're going to need it," said Denise Griffin, 911 call taker.

Public safety workers want to emphasize that calling 911 doesn't mean you're going to get into a hospital sooner.

Chances are you will end up in triage with everyone else.

One other note, Lee County is also developing a new priority medical dispatch system to better determine which resources to send. They hope it will eliminate unnecessary time and equipment.

If you have an emergency you should absolutely- call 911.

There are other options, though, if you need assistance and it's not an emergency. You can call 211 if you need social services like a meal or someone to talk to, 511 for traffic information and 411 for directory assistance.

If you need medical help but it's not urgent, consider seeing your regular doctor or going to an urgent care facility.

A very nicely put video is also on the website:

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle....=22828&z=14

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously?!

All right let's toss out computer aided dispatch and coding responses. Everything gets Code 4, L&S and while we're at let's blow red lights to make sure we shave seconds off. I know the dispatcher said it was a stubbed toe, but what they heck everything is an emergency.

Come on man, pull your head out of your butt. You know you don't believe that anymore than I do. And if you'd read the article you'd notice that the point wasn't the minority of calls are immediately life threatening and the rest are not; it was that 911 is tied up with honest to goodness bullshit. (example: "My keys are locked in my car") Yes not all these require or will get an Ambulance response, but they tie up resources all the same. Don't tell me that the student with dick all in road time gets this better than you.

"As 911 providers..." I've taken it to assume you meant EMS providers. I know my cop friend isn't putting the noise complaint ahead of the sexual assault or the officer needing assistance. I know my friend in the Fire Department isn't rushing to the CO check (when the family's been told to leave the house) the way they're rushing to a structural fire. Why, because not every 911 call is an emergency; every 911 call is a request for service from Emergency Services.

Yes every call is an emergency to the person calling and as caring providers we must recognize that, but that's not what this is about.

- Matt

Perhaps, part of the problem is all the 3 digit numbers ending in #-1-1?

I mean, social services, meals on wheels, all that stuff is important if you truley need it... and if your stressed out you may not remember an 7 digit (10 with area code) number... but if your stressed out will you sooner remember 9-1-1 over 2-1-1 or 4-1-1 or other simmilar numbers? 9-1-1 is a number drilled into our heads from a young age. Needless to say I know better not to abuse 9-1-1 but I can garuntee you I will soon forget what other #-1-1 numbers are for.

Just to stir the pot, I ask input on the following statement:

All 9-1-1 calls are emergencies until the EMS crew arrives onscene to evaluate otherwise.

I do not necessarily follow that statement, but it is what I was taught, back when my ambulance was still pulled by a Triceratops.

I'd say the implication of that statement could be interesting depending on which way you take it.

Do you take emergency to mean run hot to everything. In that case I'd disagree.

If we take emergency to mean maintain a high index of suspicion for potential complications and to assume that a condition is the worst possible until assured otherwise, than I would agree. Provided, it means exercising clinical judgement and not just making everything load and go, doing procedures "just in case" and running diesel therapy wide open.

Taken one way, that line is an excellent pearl of advice for a provider, taken the other it throws good sense and judgement out the window.

Well Richard in regards to your post I bring back something Ive mentioned when I first joined this site. An unnamed ambulance company that litterally ignored specific calls and requested mutual aid so they can keep their rig in town.

I understand that an ETOH may not nessecarilly be an emergency BUT unless EMS is on scene to assess the patient whos to say otherwise? Even with advanced EMD systems today, Joe-Bystander isnt always ganna know if its ETOH or diabetic.

The commercial agency I worked for covered all psych, ETOH and most nursing home calls in said town. Our base was about 15 minutes out (20-25 given traffic). Any time called there there was no EMS or first responders... ok occasionally there was a cop but still not always.

Whos to say a psychiatric call isnt an emergency? I had a nervous breakdown once and even though I had no intent of doing harm to anyone the hospital still treated as a risk to myself... any potential weapon or object that could do me or another harm was taken away from me. Thats a pretty high standard, and I believe in it. Its partly about liability if you want my honest opinion.

A 15 minute delay in care.... could easily cost someone unnesscarry injury or even death. All because the local agency, often without someone on scene to determin need, wants to pick and choose calls.

~~

Heres another example... you pick up Suzie Q every other day for various complaints. Shes a sweet elderly woman who dosnt mean any harm, just very lonley. Maybe her family wants nothing to do with her. Shes complained of minor chest pains in the past which usually eleviates on your arrival or during transport... maybe you stop hooking her up to the monitor after so many times and/or dispatch stops sending you Code 3 (Ive seen it with frequent flyers). But one day you get there and its for real, your totally off guard, went into her house without your equipment because she usually walks right out with you, and now shes in cardiac arrest. Youve already wasted precious time crossing town with the flow of traffic. What now?

~~

One thing that absoloutley bothers me in this line of work is the use of the word "routine." I HATE that word and will sooner start asking everyone if its been quiet, or start saying, "slow day huh?" Ive had "routine" non-emergent transports go bad, and Im sure its not just me.

~~

Now, I by no means think we should go balls to the wall, lights and siren to every single call. Giving EVERY patient a full work up and every one goes on the monitor. I also know there are plenty of calls that before you get there you can tell its going to be BS... but untill you KNOW otherwise, there is no reason to let your guard down.

The commercial agency I worked for covered all psych, ETOH and most nursing home calls in said town. Our base was about 15 minutes out (20-25 given traffic)...

Heh, this sounds VERY familiar. I don't think I recognize your name, but you're not talking about working in the city are you? We're in the same state...

Well fizz I wore a cranberry shirt if that means anything to you :oops: :roll: And yea its based in a city.

As far as the local agency that dosnt take their own calls... I wont mention their name at all. Mostly 1 cuz its my personal opinion and does not reflect that of my former co-workers and 2 cuz outside of this I dont know anyone well enough to make further judgement.

Reading what I just wrote sounds kinda snotty... but please know that Im not trying to be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.