If you could change one thing in EMS .......................

But see, as an employer, I decide who is teachable -- or at least worthy of trying to teach -- by what they have already put into it. If they have demonstrated that they truly want education, and have sought it on their own, above and beyond the minimum, then that's who I am going to invest in. I'm not investing a moment in someone who went to the thirteen-week patch factory in California, or the 6 month monkey mill in Dallas unless they also have other significant educational achievement behind them. Those who took shortcuts are not worth the risk. And those who took shortcuts are the majority of the medics in the U.S.

Don't come to me as a potential employee and tell me now you're ready to get serious. I need concrete evidence that you were serious way before you came to me. I cannot build your foundation for you. That needs to be established before you ever get to your first job. Come to me with a solid foundation, and I'll help you to build an educational structure of excellence. But the first move is yours.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant argue with that -- my point is that the culture of the company should push those who are pushable in that direction. If the culture is "my job is to sleep, watch tv, and gossip in betwen ambulance calls" then some who may have been teachable might take the path of least resistance, and join the herd of mediocrity. Maybe i am being polyanish, in hoping that i could capture another 1 or 2% from the darkside, but i always hold out hope.

Many of you seem to think more education is the way to go, I agree formal education is a good thing, unfortunatley I can't see people going to school for four years and then giving their sevice away for free, unless they got some kick ass scholarships or incintives.

You've just stumbled into what many of us here have been advocating for years. Turn this into a real profession where people don't give it away for free and the education won't be an issue.

There are many long and varied discussions on this very topic here in these forums. I suggest a search of the forums for more reading than you might ever want to do at one sitting.

-be safe

Many of you seem to think more education is the way to go, I agree formal education is a good thing. Unfortunately, I can't see people going to school for four years and then giving their services away for free, unless they received some kick ass scholarships or incentives.
Fixed that for you. Education is the way to go.

You've just stumbled into what many of us here have been advocating for years. Turn this into a real profession where people don't give it away for free and the education won't be an issue.

There are many long and varied discussions on this very topic here in these forums. I suggest a search of the forums for more reading than you might ever want to do at one sitting.

-be safe

But with more education and not volunteering how could I get away with the lights and sirens that are worth more than my house on my old chevy chevette? :roll:

Many of you seem to think more education is the way to go, I agree formal education is a good thing, unfortunatley I can't see people going to school for four years and then giving their sevice away for free, unless they got some kick ass scholarships or incintives.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

The way I see it folks, you've got it all wrong. I think that all your educational shortfalls, gadget wizardry, better mousetrap problems can be solved with one change. Reimbursement! Unlike our economy, the "trickle down effect" would work here. If we get enough reimbursement for the calls we do, then we can afford to pay the medics what we are truly worth. If we get paid more, then there is incentive to enter the field, thus the nurse comment earlier. If there is an influx of medics into the market, then employers can become more finicky in picking who gets hired. In order to get hired, you need an edge. What better way to gain an edge, then get the most advanced degree you can. That will encourage every person looking to get into pre hospital medicine to push themselves to the limits of our educational boundaries. After that, we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya!!! Rock ON!

A padded backboard. Nothing to inflate, or blankets. Like a thin, memory foam, that won't absorb fluids and is antimicrobial throughout. One side normal, the other just padding built right in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.