Working on a mystery...

chbare

Slightly off topic here, and I apologize for it.

I've been noticing in some of the more recent scenarios a lot of lab values. Being a paramedic student, most of those values are new to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on reading material either online or a good book they were taught with on lab values? I'd be very much interested.

Love all your scenarios by the way chbare! I'm learning a lot from you all by reading them!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

path of least resistance I think

the high voltage current entered the hand, tunneling thru the arms and then into the chest and down the great vessels or the spinal column into the lower extrems. The tunneling effect of the current carved out a tunnel in his lower extrems until it exited the foot.

The subsequent massive fluid seepage filled the soft tissues and the tunnel in his legs causing intense pressure on his lower extremities thus causing the compartment syndrome.

Electricity goes via the path of least resistance and usually that path is either the great vessels or the bones of the body.

The compartment syndrome was caused by the fluid seeping from the internal burns.

We've all seen the seepage from skin burns but the seepage and loss of fluids from the cells to the surrounding areas can be just as damageing internally than externally.

The rhabdo is caused by the critical damage done to the muscles as the current passed down them.

Slightly off topic here, and I apologize for it.

I've been noticing in some of the more recent scenarios a lot of lab values. Being a paramedic student, most of those values are new to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on reading material either online or a good book they were taught with on lab values? I'd be very much interested.

Love all your scenarios by the way chbare! I'm learning a lot from you all by reading them!

Here is some basic lab value info. A search of that site might land you more.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8003379/USMLE-Normal-Lab-Values

Strong work everybody. i am glad you liked the scenario. The patient this scenario is based upon received minor injuries; however, I thought it would be neat to discuss some of the considerations with electrical injuries. I cannot recommend any lab books at this time. The book I used in nursing school must be around 7 years old. Too bad labs are not emphasized in your program. With EMS taking a role in patient facility transfers, knowledge of lab findings and implications is in fact important knowledge. In addition, it is nice to look at a condition you see in the field and connect that with possible lab findings. Renal failure with ECG changes should raise your suspicion of a potassium imbalance for example.

Take care,

chbare.

aryan, I am sure there are many expensive text books you can buy, but you can learn all you need to know from your local ER or Lab. And there is a good reason to learn this, as many Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities have started drawing blood and sending labs out instead of sending the patient to the ER. So you may start getting calls for "abnormal labs" and will have a copy of the lab results handed to you. For emergency purposes if you understand:

white cell counts, H&Hs, Electrolytes, and medication ranges (Digoxin, Seizure Meds, etc), you will know most of what you need to know.