Question about a transport Not without my husband.

itku2er

Actually, I wouldn't. It would just be something more to keep track of. Can you imagine if you, or any where down the line they got lost? Or accidently spilled? I know ashes are kept in very secure containers now, but still, I wouldn't want the responsibility.

The weakest, lamest possible answer. You don't want the responsibility of managing this container, yet you claim to be a medic? The container management doesn't even rate on my radar of medical responsibilities, of which my patient's comfort and calm state of mind being two of the highest priorities. This is a nobrainer. Ask Fire to grab the urn, or strap in onto the gourney between her calves, and roll. Shameful answer even for a fire medic.

I'd just try to reason with her. If not, maybe it'll depend on the mood I'm in. Who knows?

You should know. This answer even more ridiculous than the first! This is a forum for the sharing of knowledge and ideas. If you can't be bothered to develp ideas, and then support them rationally, please spare us the posts where you just want to hear yourself talk.

Suggestion. Next time you're proofing your post and you think, "Huh. That doesn't add to this discussion at all. In fact, it just sounds ridiculous." Feel free to hit the 'delete' button.

Dwayne

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, this seems like a no brainer to me? We are responsible for transporting our patients medications, ventricular assist devices, insulin pumps, Flolan pumps, and so on, why not grab the ashes and transport?

Take care,

chbare.

The weakest, lamest possible answer. You don't want the responsibility of managing this container, yet you claim to be a medic? The container management doesn't even rate on my radar of medical responsibilities, of which my patient's comfort and calm state of mind being two of the highest priorities. This is a nobrainer. Ask Fire to grab the urn, or strap in onto the gourney between her calves, and roll. Shameful answer even for a fire medic.

You should know. This answer even more ridiculous than the first! This is a forum for the sharing of knowledge and ideas. If you can't be bothered to develp ideas, and then support them rationally, please spare us the posts where you just want to hear yourself talk.

Suggestion. Next time you're proofing your post and you think, "Huh. That doesn't add to this discussion at all. In fact, it just sounds ridiculous." Feel free to hit the 'delete' button.

Dwayne

EDIT: (My epiphany came to late to do a proper edit.) I was in an obviously foul mood when I posted the above. Upon rereading, I'm comfortable with all of the above with the exception of the "even for a fire medic" comment, as I know of no fire medic, or fire basic for that matter that would traumatize an elderly cardiac pt to avoid the incovnenience of having to deal with the half gallon size container containing the ashes of her late husband. My apologies to Firemen in general taking that petty shot.

Dwayne

Dwayne

My thoughts are that this is a question that should be taken to the lawyer and medical director of your individual service for clarification, without that I would be very weary of taking with her husband's cremains, or the cremains of any other relative/ pet the patient may want brought with.

I did not blend but I raised questions. I really based on urns I have seen do not think seatbelt would hold it in place, especially if you hit a bump faster than you should by accident. Think the stress of leaving the ashes at home were bad, see my original post again.

Would this be a time lying to the patient would be ok? Tell her someone would place the urn in the ambulance. Get to the hospital when she asks blame it on that darn fire fighter that got distracted and forgot them on her table.

The "Will it blend" comment was a joke in reference to the viral advertising campaign for Blendtec blenders. EMTD caught the reference. Personally, I've transported my fair share of flowers, vases, etc for patient's being discharged from the hospital. They always went up front either in the seat of on the floor and never once did I have one fall over and break. Now, yes, a nice smooth non-emergent transport isn't necessarily the same as a lights and sirens emergency transport, but if the driver his hitting bumps so hard that he would bounce the urn around the cab, then he is also going to be driving so roughly that patient care is going to be disrupted. If transports are normally that bumpy, then you need better roads, better drivers, or both.

SPENAC Would this be a time lying to the patient would be ok?

No Never. Lying only leaves them questioning your professionalism and the professionalism of other EMS providers.

In this case I certainly would make the patient aware valuable items can be lost, broken or misplaced at the hospital and that there taking a risk. Should they want to take it. I would pack it in the car seat we carry as tight as I could.

My thoughts are that this is a question that should be taken to the lawyer and medical director of your individual service for clarification, without that I would be very weary of taking with her husband's cremains, or the cremains of any other relative/ pet the patient may want brought with.

Why?

Then you can have a rule in place to cover your butt in case this sort of thing actually does come up.

I guess what I'm getting at is, at this point, the urn and remains are just that...remains. An inanimate object. Roughly the same as a vase of flowers (it just USED to be different). Where is the need to create a rule/protocol/whatever to transport an inanimate object? Live things (humans other than the PT) are a different story. Dead people...different story (although you really shouldn't be transporting a dead person anyway...). Cremated person...just an object that people keep a sentimental value to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.