DNR's

itku2er

That's KEWL. They must have worked on that for quite some time.

I don't have an Advanced Directive or anything like that. But I've always said that when/if I have problems that there is nothing more they can do, then just keep me pain free and let me go. Of course anyone that has been in this profession for any length of time has seen time and time again those that have no quality of life and the only thing keeping them alive is machines.

My own grandfather was somewhat like that. In Oct. of '76 he had at quadruple by-pass. Surgery and all went well. But not soon after surgery, while in CCU he coded. If I remember his down time was 22 minutes. They revived him and put him on a vent. He was in a coma. After a little while he started posturing decorticate. After three days the family decided to "pull the plug". They took him off the vent, but he kept breathing. To make the story a little shorter, I can't remember how long he was in an actual coma, but it was at least a couple of years. Eventually he turned out to be in a "vegetative" state for 17 yrs. Bed ridden, feeding tube, blind, mute, permanent decorticate posture. You can see some pics of him on my MySpace page. He was taken care at home, mostly by my grandmother herself. During that time, not once did he have a bed sore or any of the other complications you see everyday in a nursing home.

Now, my grandmother is in a nursing home. She has had so many CVA's that she is not far from the same condition as my grandfather was. Her epiglottis is paralyzed so she is completely NPO, hence, having to have a feeding tube. She has never arrested, but she does have a DNR. It could be any day now, or it can be 10-15 yrs. from now. You never know.

Well! That was an interesting 4 minutes and 14 seconds!

aww come on Richard it was funny........ :twisted: :twisted:

*I spend way too much time on youtube*

I loved it.... I think I may show that to my students!

I do have an Advance Directive, and I know most of my family members do as well... My dad had a DNR, and he died with dignity and grace because of it. I do not want to be an ongoing burden to my family, and I do not want them to have to make the decision for me in a time of stress, so I have my wants already written out. Hopefully, if that day comes, it will make it easier for others....

And yes, sis, you DO spend too much time on youtube! :D:lol::lol:

I loved it.... I think I may show that to my students!

I do have an Advance Directive, and I know most of my family members do as well... My dad had a DNR, and he died with dignity and grace because of it. I do not want to be an ongoing burden to my family, and I do not want them to have to make the decision for me in a time of stress, so I have my wants already written out. Hopefully, if that day comes, it will make it easier for others....

And yes, sis, you DO spend too much time on youtube! :D:D:D

Sounds like a plan.

I found that incorporating something unusual stays with a person later on and will be remembered more easily.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.