Expiration dates on meds?

Michael

To you alchemists out there:

What are the consequences (biochemical, not ethical or legal - so, for personal use) of disregarding expiration dates on various OTC and prescription Rxs?

One reliable far-flung correspondent tells me the overseas US military adds 6 months to expiry dates before discarding.

A Canadian friend writes "...in nursing school I learned that expiry dates on drugs are simply revenue generators. I watched a show on the Canadian military that showed it entirely depends on the individual meds. Varies greatly, averaged out to 4 years but ranged as much as 13 years beyond expiration," and says that as far as she knows, only liquids, as opposed to pills/dry compounds, do anything but lose potency with time.

Which meds grow more potent, which turn toxic, which remain the same, and which, like fine wines and cheeses and friends and discussion threads, only improve when properly aged?

One reliable far-flung correspondent tells me the overseas US military adds 6 months to expiry dates before discarding.

He may be personally doing it, but it is very definitely not US military policy, I can assure you. We were tossing expired meds every day. There have been a few instances where something expired, and my replacement supply had not yet arrived, that I would hold on to the expired med just in case. But that was certainly not because I was trying to stretch the expiration on anything. I've never seen any medical facility in Iraq doing that either.

Your correspondent isn't far-flung. He's just "out there".

He may be personally doing it, but it is very definitely US military policy, I can assure you.

Thanks, Dust, and just checking: Is there a "not" missing between "definitely" and "US"?

Public policy aside, my question concerns individual civilians who choose to prepare for emergencies by stocking up on necessities.

a while back I had heard; but can not remember where that some atropine dated sometime after world war 2 was found and tested still potent. I don't remember where I heard it so it is probably total bs. But it makes for interesting conversation. Like how long will something stay sterile in a glass vial. Plus what about when they find meds in ampules in shipwrecks and the like. On a personal note I have taken oral meds that were expired without any bad effects. I do inspect the meds first though, if its a pill and crumbling its tossed. Any liquid is checked for separation and particulates or discoloration. I know not the best idea but it has come in handy at 1 am or weekend with a sudden onset of being ill. Until the dr office opened.

He may be personally doing it, but it is very definitely not US military policy, I can assure you. We were tossing expired meds every day. There have been a few instances where something expired, and my replacement supply had not yet arrived, that I would hold on to the expired med just in case. But that was certainly not because I was trying to stretch the expiration on anything. I've never seen any medical facility in Iraq doing that either.

Your correspondent isn't far-flung. He's just "out there".

Unfortunately, this correspondent is indeed "out there" at times; not always, but enough to get odd looks from others.

Anyways, this correspondent did indeed have it in writing as a written directive to continue using medications to the 6 month expiration date printed on them from the manufacturer. A copy of the written directive was obtained to ease this correspondent's mind with regards to dispensing the medications and it came straight from the US military. However, when this correspondent left that past employ, he destroyed all relevant documents associated with that company and no longer has any valid proof other than to say it was so.

I know some who feel that expiration dates on meds are about the same way about food expiration dates. They'll say it's a "sell by" date. But when it comes to meds, I wouldn't dare use it. I know in the military you can't be "sued" for negligence or malpractice, at least in the Navy. But for the general public, if someone was given an expired drug and they went down hill, not necessarily from that certain drug, a good lawyer...BUSTED

Anytime we had a drug box opened for any reason it went to the Pharmacy at our resource hospital and they would not give it back until every little thing was checked. It's a good thing we had enough exchange boxes, or we'd have to wait for hours. We once waited four hours to get our box back one time when there were no more exchange boxes due to a rash of "codes". In that case we had to hang around the ER, and if we got a call we were authorized to take their "mini-code cart". It might have been "mini" but talk about heavy and bulky.

Anytime we had a drug box opened for any reason it went to the Pharmacy at our resource hospital and they would not give it back until every little thing was checked. It's a good thing we had enough exchange boxes, or we'd have to wait for hours. We once waited four hours to get our box back one time when there were no more exchange boxes due to a rash of "codes".

Exactly why it's far cheaper, easier, and faster to simply replace what you use out of the ER. I tell them what I used, they get it from the Pyxis, I leave. The longest part is them logging into the system (fingerprint, password, done). Nobody has to use a type of box they don't want, and nobody stays out of service on a busy day.

Keeping ambulance out of service for four hours because you used a medication is criminal, IMHO (not an indictment of you, but of the system).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.