Code At A Funeral Home

firedoc5

yah we had one yesterday, guy started feeling real faint, and passed, out, checked a pulse and it was 20. Got the paramedics there a few minutes later and the guy was in pea. Unfortunatly the guy didn't come back after 6 shocks, eppi and atropine. Worked on this guy for 25 mins:(

Defib PEA? Or did he start in PEA and then went into a shockable rhythm, then zapped him?

You mean like respiratory arrest?

When I was still a Basic, but definitely not a rookie, we had a call to a parking lot where we had a pt. that was in resp. arrest, but not cardiac arrest. I guess we got there quick enough to start ventilating him before he went into cardiac arrest. We never lost a rhythm, every now and then he'd brady down a little, but would pick back up. Pt. still had a gag reflex but were able to insert a small oralpharangeal and nasopharangeal. Just used a bag-valve mask to ventilate. Sometimes he was still alert enough that if we asked him if he was "getting enough air?" he could nod his head. I was assigned to take his BP constantly.

Turned out to be a CVA in just the right place to knock out is breathing. He was on a vent for about four days until he died. Actually, I think the family "pulled the plug."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.