colorado ems

flucas82

I know there are many threads similar to this post ,but they didnt answer all my questions. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any more info on the following departments. I planning on moving to colorado between now and may. I just got my paramedic, I have three years exp.. 2 years being in a very busy ems system as an emt. I would really like to eventully get on a fire dept in colorado but I am aware that the process takes a long time. So I would like to move to colorado and get know the area plus its easier to test when you are in the same state. I was looking at apply for the following departments

colorado springs - next test in 2009 ( this is my dream job) I was wondering how much would my paramedic help me in the process. I know they do the fireteam test.

Denver I would love this job if they where ALS is there any news if they will be hiring paramedics soon.

castle rock- I know they just had a hiring process not sure when they are hiring again I know they pay well and they are a growing department.

DRCOG- Looks Like alot of great departments and alot on there that run there own ambulance. wont be able to test there till june so I was worried I wouldnt get on most department list in time for this years academys Cause it seems most departments start there process in early spring.

Littleton- seems like a great department when are they hiring again.

Parker , South Metro merger seems like they put there hiring on hold for 2009

North metro there web site sounds like they are a great dept and will be a new station soon.

but it looks like all the departments on there would be great to work for.

So I would like to work on the ambulance till I got hired on fire. But I still had alot questions about them Like what is the PAY, Shifts I prefer 24s, And how often they hire. and if they are out of stations or system status management

Denver seems like the same system I am in but I do like the double paramedic truck. sounds like there pay is all right starting out at 19hr

AMR in the springs I have only heard bad things about AMR but alot people say they are not that bad in the springs. Whats there pay

Platt valley ? pay? Shifts

Grand county EMS ?Pay Shifts?

NorthGlen Pay? Shifts ?

thompson valley Pay? Shifts ?

estes park ems Pay? Shifts ?

Summit County Pay? Shifts ?

Eagle County Pay? Shifts ?

Western Eagle County Pay? Shifts ?

Pridemark

Pudre Valley ambulance..

also was wondering about the cost of living in colorado. I am coming from okc which has some of the lowest cost of living in the country 18 bucks an hour would go along way here. paramedics here only make 12hr. I am a single guy and dont have many expenses and am willing to live in a small apartment.

Thanks for any help

PM me if you really want the lowdown on as many as I can find for you. It will take me a few days to reply because it'll take that long to do my research.

Also consider Weld County EMS.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I am only familiar with Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

Both are AMR. In Pueblo Fire is first response with medic engines. AMR controls the scene from time of arrival. Both start at $15.90/hr with 4/12s then 3/12s.

I would burn my medic ticket before working in Pueblo. AMR is amatuerish, the medics are weak, the mentality is ALWAYS load N go, regardless of the situation. I only worked around a small percentage of medics there, but they were sloppy in their person as well as their medicine. Fire as well was always sloppy, and constantly angry at patients for making them respond.

Now turn an almost perfect 180 degrees and you have the Springs. I worked around and had contact with a few dozen of thier medic/basic teams. VERY smart, competent, confident medics. I can't remember a time when we sat in the EMS room at the hospital that someone didn't ask for a case review of one of their calls, and the review almost always followed the physiology, pharmacology, and expanding differential possibilities as far as we were mentally able to take it. You very much do not want to run to the hospital with a critical pt that you had positive intervention options for and try to explain to the medical director that you thought it best "just to hurry and get them to difinitive care" unless you're ready to move on. The medical director there demands that medics practice medicine, and if you don't have the confidence to do so, he will not keep you on his lisence. 15-20 minute scene times were not uncommon with non trauma issues. Hour long scene times were not uncommon with the mentally challenged or mentally disturbed pts. as they have a pretty comprehensive list of mental health professionals, created by the AMR medics, that you were to call before simply dropping them at the hospital.

Fire controls the pt until released to AMR for transport, but they are very professional in dress and behavior. They also seem to be aware that as they will not be transporting (Though they can ride in if they choose) that releasing pt care early to the private company just makes sense. And they are almost always happy to do so, as well as assist in care for as long, and in any way, as needed. Only once or twice did I end up in dick measuring contests with Fire, and I think that had at least a little bit to do with my student status, but the other firemen had little patience for it and would help work it out. Plus, though it's unlikely, it is possible that I may have just been an ass on those occasions. I know...hard to believe.

I found everything that's broken in EMS in Pueblo, and everything inspiring in the Springs. Both are hiring nearly constantly, though the Springs has a hiring program that washes out a signigicant number of applicants.

Other than these two systems I don't really know much about the rest of CO EMS.

Good luck to you! CO is a beautiful state....And if we can figure out how to keep the Texans from sneaking across the border we have every hope of keeping it that way... :-)

Dwayne

Good luck to you! CO is a beautiful state....And if we can figure out how to keep the Texans from sneaking across the border we have every hope of keeping it that way... :-)Dwayne

Don't worry Dwayne, we would never live there, but we're glad to help by keeping all of Colorado and New Mexico afloat with our oil riches. Just remember what ever we destroy is another persons job to repair.:twisted: :lol::lol::D

Wow wages are cheap. I make more than that as an intermediate. As soon as I get my paramedic I move up to near $20/hr plus great benefits.

Just remember that Colorado is one of those states that EVERYONE is looking to move to. And as far as fire, if your looking to get on a dept. near denver you have the group testing with the DRCOG. (opps you got it)... Your best bet would be AMR or Pridemark to get you there. AMR has that "private service" stigma and as i don't know how the Pikes Peak Operations is, I DO know full well how that administraition is in the Mid-West. While the medics are some of the best i have worked with or seen, the admin was more that i could tolerate.

TVEMS is a great service and runs hiring drives with Weld County, FYI i have had my resume in with them for three yrs and have yet to recieve a call. I renew it every 6 months as well. Maybe its me who knows, lol. Weld County paramedics have thier protocols available for download on thier website in both .pdf and .doc if you wanted to look before deciding.

My only word of advice for you is this, If fire is your goal and that what your going to do at all costs. Start there, do not goto a third service and leave for fire unless your planning to spend at least 2 yrs with them. That is the amount of time 90% of services figure it takes for you to "pay for" your training to work for them. Besides whats it going to look like to the Fire Dept. when they see you have only been with your current service for a few months and your already looking for another. Not going to have much faith in you sticking around... just my opinion ( have also heard this from several hiring boards )

Good luck to you and maybe we'll run in to each other sometime, I am also looking to relocate and Colorado is one of the states im looking at.

Race

There are 34 cities in Metro Denver.

The following Hospitals Have there own Paramedics or EMTS

Denver Health-----Who is hiring!!! Looking fo a Chief Paramedic

Also they run EMT's on the Detox rigs.._Easy Work

The following Fire Depts Run there own Ambulances---There fore FF/EMT's or Paramedics

Littleton

South Metro

West Metro

SW Adams County

There are a few small Fire Rescue units in the footghills to the west of Downtown Denver

Privates are

AMR-------Denver Division and to the South El Paso County Division

Headquarters for AMR Nationwide is in Denver

Pridemark

Western

Capitol City

Columbine

NorthGlenn/SouthAdams County

Action Care

Flight Services

Flight for Life

Air LIfe

So many of these places are hiring, some are pretty good services..

SO there may be a job Here for YOU.......

Thank you so much your input. I guess I leaning toward AMR or Denver Health I will be applying as a parmedic I have heard denver health pays about 18.50 hr and AMR About 16.50 hr

First I was wondering whats going on with denver health I heard they are having alot of problems right now. and how far will 18. 50 an hr go in denver will you be living in poverty. 18 bucks an hour in okc is a great rate. every one is telling me it is real expensive to live in denver right now.

Second which is better AMR in denver or in colorado springs? Does AMR in denver run 911 calls or just transports.

thanks

Hey dummy here for got an agency

under Fire

North Washington Fire Protection District

My appology

Denver runs from 18.50 to 23.50 an hour for Paramedics and 13.50 to 18.00 bucks for EMT

Have a Gooooooooooooood Day 8) 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.