Do you need critical calls to enjoy your work?

fiznat

I would have to say that I need both. I work for a rural county service and sometimes you just need that easy transfer for a break. I love to be challenged and I have found that on some of the "simple" transfers that we do from hospital to hospital are not simple at all. It nice to see that what you are doing for your pt actually work. We are 60 miles from a trauma center and usually end up flying alot of pts. That is not always possible due to weather. I have seen a significat Acute MI improve on my monitor while I was treating a pt and that was great. I think that every medic needs a combination of both calls to allow them to continue to learn and experince what makes this job so great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, trauma doesnt do it for me -- no challenge there --- backboard, ccollar, one IV or two -- the only question is helicopter or not ? I like a good challenge -- the elderly patient on the grocery sack full of meds -- the dig toxic patient at the nursing home. But what I really enjoy is being able to tell the new nurse or doctor what the patient's diagnosis is, or when i tell them that patient's gonna code in about 30 minutes, and they give you the deer in the headlight look, or the look of "yeah right, what have you been smoking", and then you are proven right -- with no lab, no xray. Or when you start the IV on the patient they stuck 20 times already. Priceless ...

So crotchity, what I got from your post is that you need to be able to show up other providers in order to enjoy your work?

I could give you the proper name for that type of personality but then I would be guilty also. :wink:

Some times its the simple things that mean the most especially to the hurt or hurting.

But like anyone else I love a good trauma but working as a nurse in a nursing home unless grandpa falls I dont see much trauma.

In mom's defense... I see more trauma from gerriatric falls than I do from others. Of course they are more breakable and stuff :| Always love thoes calls for "lift assist only" where you get on scene and theres a body part so out of place a 4 year old could notice.

No I don't but currently working in an emergency department and it very frustrating to see the same BSers come in for colds or ingrown toe nails. Would be nice to have the regular, truly ill or injured patients come thru out doors, or thru our ambulances.

No I don't but currently working in an emergency department and it very frustrating to see the same BSers come in for colds or ingrown toe nails. Would be nice to have the regular, truly ill or injured patients come thru out doors, or thru our ambulances.

You might try getting a job on the ambulances. At least you'll have only one "BSer" at a time to worry about.

Having many really sick patients to take care of at one time, all the time in the ED can be just as frustrating. As an RRT, I might have 4 critical ventilator patients and a dozen more that aren't intubated but may need to be hanging out waiting for beds. These patients also tie up a lot of RNs. Sometimes those patients that can be fast tracked or sent to the clinic are a relief. It is those that are sick but not yet critical or you know something is going on but it can not be pin pointed that can be the most frustrating because their workup is the most time consuming. They sometimes stay in the ED the longest because it is hard to determine which service they'll go to.

Working busy EDs, ICUs and Med-surg floors do make the days on Flight (or a truck) when you have just one patient to worry about for a very short time a welcome change.

You might try getting a job on the ambulances. At least you'll have only one "BSer" at a time to worry about.

Having many really sick patients to take care of at one time, all the time in the ED can be just as frustrating. As an RRT, I might have 4 critical ventilator patients and a dozen more that aren't intubated but may need to be hanging out waiting for beds. These patients also tie up a lot of RNs. Sometimes those patients that can be fast tracked or sent to the clinic are a relief. It is those that are sick but not yet critical or you know something is going on but it can not be pin pointed that can be the most frustrating because their workup is the most time consuming. They sometimes stay in the ED the longest because it is hard to determine which service they'll go to.

Working busy EDs, ICUs and Med-surg floors do make the days on Flight (or a truck) when you have just one patient to worry about for a very short time a welcome change.

Oh but I worked on an ambulance service, a few for that matter. Either way those same patients end up where I work darling.

the discussion about the lack of beds would make another good topic...

Oh but I worked on an ambulance service, a few for that matter. Either way those same patients end up where I work darling.

the discussion about the lack of beds would make another good topic...

You two should be ashamed. There are no BS patients only BS EMTS and vent people. :twisted:

Sorry couldn't resist. Please forgive me. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.