FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

Again you confuse the issue that an EMT course is a medical course. It is not much more than a First Aid course. I leave by saying history repeats itself and again Memphis prominent history and poor reputation is represented by statements alike yours.

R/r 911

And you have forgotten the value of good BASIC skills, without which you CANNOT be a good paramedic.

The quote I quote was more than enough proof of that.

Just because Los Angeles jumps off the golden gate bridge, we all should? That is bad reasoning. And I have avoided personal attacks, I only stated a fact based on your actions and attitudes. I do hope your paramedics prove us wrong and turn out to be the best ever seen in this nation for the sake of the people they will treat. Many here have sited many examples that show how it very much appears that the system you are with is falling into the same trap many others have. You have gotten your pantys in a wad because so many examples have been sited and you have no other argument than you don't know us. Well we have seen and experienced things that look and act the same, so why expect a different outcome.

The reason history is so important is that we learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Sadly EMS has not learned that lesson.

What mistakes?

We have 300 paramedics, most of which are members of the IAFF. You think that their salaries and benefits are not negotiated through our local? What about all the other fire based EMS employees? You think that as a general rule they are paid more and have better benefits just because?

As I have already stated, if sitting in ambulance at the local 7-11 waiting for your next call at $10 an hour is progression in the mobile emergency room pre-hospital based medical profession, some of you are much more delusional that I opriginally thought.

Here is the deal. When paramedics can claim their own and govern themselves, without being under fire departments, we will excel far past the standards that the fire departments have set which hold us back. When EMS becomes solely a medical profession, we will be able to justify our own wages, our own shifts, our own standards. The tactics other medical professions (nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, MD's and DO's) have used to raise their standards could be employed by EMS for positive change. As it stands, the volleys and FD's are what keep us down. The IAFF is not doing anything to make EMS medical, only to keep jobs and pay for firefighters.

Here is the deal. When paramedics can claim their own and govern themselves, without being under fire departments, we will excel far past the standards that the fire departments have set which hold us back. When EMS becomes solely a medical profession, we will be able to justify our own wages, our own shifts, our own standards. The tactics other medical professions (nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, MD's and DO's) have used to raise their standards could be employed by EMS for positive change. As it stands, the volleys and FD's are what keep us down. The IAFF is not doing anything to make EMS medical, only to keep jobs and pay for firefighters.

I can't speak for everywhere, but the places I have been fire based paramedics receive the highest pay, receive the most benefits, and have the best working conditions.

For the 3rd or 4th time, if sitting in an ambulance at the 7-11 waiting on a call for $10 an hour or being staged at an ER where you perform other duties until there is a call is a progressive service, you can have it.

If there were enough people that felt the same way you do, EMS would already be everything you aspire it to be.

What kind of service do you think would be the absolute best? Private, government based? What kind do you work for?

And you have forgotten the value of good BASIC skills, without which you CANNOT be a good paramedic.

You have just represented yourself as not knowing very much about medicine. There is NO such thing as basic or advanced as there are only treatment modalities. The only reason such terminology was even invented was because it was necessary for EMS to have division. Do a little research on the history of EMS.

Unfortunately you and alike many others assume that EMS is only mainly compromised of the prehospital arena. In fact it is only a small portion.

To answer your question; EMS would be best placed as a third party type system. Alike those of the Fire, Police then EMS.

I now ask you, how do you feel of some successful EMS agencies now offering to manage Fire Service at a lower and more economical rate(s)? Possibly even privatization? I do believe as cities come under the crunch, this will be a very favorable option. Not alike EMS (which can be a profitable) Fire Services can definitely be managed better and better streamlined. Again, city officials not having to deal with union(s), benefits, retirement, etc. Equipment could be owned by the city alike many of those that contract EMS out, the personal could be contracted alike EMS personal.

R/r 911

I can't speak for everywhere, but the places I have been fire based paramedics receive the highest pay, receive the most benefits, and have the best working conditions.

The wages are per the fire department. Why should we let fire departments rule how much we are paid? We should be deciding our own pay, what we are worth. Not the FD.

For the 3rd or 4th time, if sitting in an ambulance at the 7-11 waiting on a call for $10 an hour or being staged at an ER where you perform other duties until there is a call is a progressive service, you can have it.

This statement just shows your ignorance. Who here said that most EMS systems are like you describe above? Not us. It is you bro. Some of the systems I am familiar with that use System Status Management for ambulances mostly work for fire departments.

If there were enough people that felt the same way you do, EMS would already be everything you aspire it to be.

You have a point. That is why we try to spread the word of professionalism which begins education. That is the basis that will change everything in EMS.

What kind of service do you think would be the absolute best? Private, government based? What kind do you work for?

I work for a government based service. I do not know which is the best. I have seen some good hospital based systems, as well as some private systems, and some third agency systems. I have seen top notch systems under each.

[For the 3rd or 4th time, if sitting in an ambulance at the 7-11 waiting on a call for $10 an hour or being staged at an ER where you perform other duties until there is a call is a progressive service, you can have it.

I make more as an EMT-I than any fire fighter within 300 miles, maybe more. I have a private bedroom. I have cable tv in the bedroom and in the common room. I have internet. I have work out equipment. I have a nice kitchen. I have retirement, great insurance, get raises every year, and will automatically go to Paramedic as soon as I get my certification. Why would I want to downgrade to a ff job?

I do think not for profit is best as way to often the private for profits focus so much on the money that patient care is hurt. Currently my primary service is a county run service. If we need it the county gets it for us. The county focus is on EMS providing prehospital medical care. They do not want us to just throw patients in and drive. We are about to establish another out station, fully equipped in another part of the station with very few 911 calls but very remote and the county understands its about the patients and not making money.

So my point I have it better than most ff's. I make better money. I have a comfortable place to wait for next tone. I am able to focus only on medicine rather than having my attention split which IMHO means my patients will get better care. No one can be the best at two so very different professions, so be the best ff you can be or be the best medical professional you can be.

Haven't we beat this horse enough?

You will never convince this yahoo he is wrong, he will never conceede the point.

Nuff said.

Are you saying ERDocs troll poster needs to be placed on this topic? Your probably right.