FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

Are they strictly Paramedics or Firefighters first? There is a difference. If they are strictly paramedics and not involved in fire suppression at all other than rehab, which I doubt, then I say thanks IAFF. If however, which is more likely the case, they are firemen first paramedics second, then all the IAFF did was help the FF's, which is their agenda.[/quote Thats the reward of being a Firefighter/Paramedic, again there is no carrer as private medic, numbers = power. Memphis you ROCK!!!

If numbers on any given day are high, they may be able to ride an entire 24 hour shift an a piece of fire equipment. If numbers are low, they could ride an ambulance an entire 24 hour shift.

Doesn't this kind of answer the question right there? They are FFs first as if there are high numbers you staff another piece of fire equipment, not another Ambulance.

Doesn't this kind of answer the question right there? They are FFs first as if there are high numbers you staff another piece of fire equipment, not another Ambulance.

No. Its not another piece of fire equipment put in service. Paramedics normally ride on an ALS piece or on an ambulance. If numbers are high - not normally - they can ride as a firefighter on a piece that is not normally ALS. Every piece we have is fully staffed everyday - 57 engines, 28 trucks, 3 heavy rescues, and 33 ambulances.

As I said, you can't say which one they are first, they are capable of riding in either capacity but they are normally on an ambulance for at least 12 hours every day they are at work.

I think I just figured this out..........are you dating Ventmedic?

Once again you are wrong. Its not that I have no respect for EMS. I just don't buy into your Jr. Doctors running around in mobile emergency room theories. Hence the Mythbusters quote. You are actually a paramedic riding around in an ambulance. Not that there is anything wrong with that and it is not disrespectful, just a fact - which is why this ......................... is not being censored by the moderators.

Please do not insult my friend Vent, as uneducated as I am I am surprised that we converse on a professional level.

See you still consider Paramedics to be nothing more than taxi drivers by your own statement. You also are one of the EMT's that give EMT's bad names and lead to many here and in the real world not wanting them around. If you ever had to spend time in my part of the world you would find that Paramedics and EMT's have to practice medicine. We can not just throw people in and drive to the hospital, well we could but there would be a lot more dead people in my area. As a former firefighter with higher rank than you obviously have lazily attained, you disgrace me and the brotherhood with your ignorance. Again admin I apologize that I am not being nice, but I am being more polite than this individual deserves.

Hey don't forget to go to the 2 sites on page 1 and voice your concerns. Of course they will probably get deleted there like mine did. I was even nice and polite but because I expressed an anti- Fire message mine were deleted.

In fact here they are to make it easier:

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/articl...p;siteSection=1

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ass-in-session/

Please do not insult my friend Vent, as uneducated as I am I am surprised that we converse on a professional level.

See you still consider Paramedics to be nothing more than taxi drivers by your own statement. You also are one of the EMT's that give EMT's bad names and lead to many here and in the real world not wanting them around. If you ever had to spend time in my part of the world you would find that Paramedics and EMT's have to practice medicine. We can not just throw people in and drive to the hospital, well we could but there would be a lot more dead people in my area. As a former firefighter with higher rank than you obviously have lazily attained, you disgrace me and the brotherhood with your ignorance. Again admin I apologize that I am not being nice, but I am being more polite than this individual deserves.

I have said alot through this thread, but I would challenge you to find quotes anywhere close to what you eluded to in the post above. As I have said all along, you don't know me, my department, or how we operate. You have run out of steam for your arguments and now resort to assumptions and personal attacks and claim to be the professional one, yet I don't have to apologize for anything.

We are not the only one with fire based EMS you know. I guess everyone here and in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and nearly every other major fire department have it all wrong!!

I have said alot through this thread, but I would challenge you to find quotes anywhere close to what you eluded to in the post above. As I have said all along, you don't know me, my department, or how we operate. You have run out of steam for your arguments and now resort to assumptions and personal attacks and claim to be the professional one, yet I don't have to apologize for anything.

We are not the only one with fire based EMS you know. I guess everyone here and in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and nearly every other major fire department have it all wrong!!

The quote I quote was more than enough proof of that.

Just because Los Angeles jumps off the golden gate bridge, we all should? That is bad reasoning. And I have avoided personal attacks, I only stated a fact based on your actions and attitudes. I do hope your paramedics prove us wrong and turn out to be the best ever seen in this nation for the sake of the people they will treat. Many here have sited many examples that show how it very much appears that the system you are with is falling into the same trap many others have. You have gotten your pantys in a wad because so many examples have been sited and you have no other argument than you don't know us. Well we have seen and experienced things that look and act the same, so why expect a different outcome.

The reason history is so important is that we learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Sadly EMS has not learned that lesson.

The quote I quote was more than enough proof of that.
I don't. You put quite a spin on it.

Just because Los Angeles jumps off the golden gate bridge, we all should? That is bad reasoning. And I have avoided personal attacks, I only stated a fact based on your actions and attitudes. I do hope your paramedics prove us wrong and turn out to be the best ever seen in this nation for the sake of the people they will treat. Many here have sited many examples that show how it very much appears that the system you are with is falling into the same trap many others have. You have gotten your pantys in a wad because so many examples have been sited and you have no other argument than you don't know us. Well we have seen and experienced things that look and act the same, so why expect a different outcome.

The reason history is so important is that we learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Sadly EMS has not learned that lesson.

First of all, my panties are not in a wad and you speculate and twist my posts. I have told you I am not against EMS fire based or otherwise. I have told you that the paramedics under my command are happy and ASKED to be here. They are free to go anytime they feel mistreated. I am not holding any paramedics hostage.

I agree with your jumping off the bridge approach, but my question is with SO many fire departments providing EMS is it really that bad? How many single function EMS departments have the exact same problems with the same kind of "sub par" employees you describe? Finally, falling into what trap? Have failed how? These are only your opinions. You cannot say that a seperate service here would offer any better medical care. You would more than likely end up with the same employees.

I understand and respect your opinion that fire based EMS is not as good as a EMS only service, but thats all you have, your opinion.

I will give you this - Ventmedic, DustDevil, yourself and others are obviously passionate about your opinions as they pertain to your job. That almost always means that you will perform well at it and normally better than those that lack that passion. At least we all care in our own way about our work place. After 13 pages, maybe we can all agree to disagree.

Again you confuse the issue that an EMT course is a medical course. It is not much more than a First Aid course. I leave by saying history repeats itself and again Memphis prominent history and poor reputation is represented by statements alike yours.

R/r 911