New Jersey Volunteer EMS video

NYC-EMS

There should be an automatic dispense of Haldol when the video starts. It would reduce the nausea and sedate at the same time... :D

R/r 911

LMAO! Thanks Ridryder! I just spewed Pepsi on my partner!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we wonder why we are held back in the 1970s.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had a couple EMTs tell me the other day that they were only EMTs cause they had to be. That they got enough training at their "squad".

Fracking morons.

Ban the FAC! Bring their leaders heads to me on a platter! :twisted:

There should be an automatic dispense of Haldol when the video starts. It would reduce the nausea and sedate at the same time... :D

R/r 911

Versed would be nice too...

The video was well made. For anyone who does not know any better about volunteer EMS, they would think it is the way to go. I was truly surprised that there were two doctors who ride as EMT Basics, as well as Occupational Therapist, Astrophysicist, RN's, and Computer Programmers. What makes it surprising is they all have college degrees! Yet they want to give their services away for free. It is the only way I guess they can get that special feeling without giving up their paychecks. I guess it is all about the money in the end....

I mean, please do not get me wrong, I enjoy helping people. But that is not why I work EMS. What I like about EMS is that it is challenging to do it right. To do it right, I have to be competent, to be the best, I need a degree, it is independent work for the most part, I am not stuck behind a desk, I work outside of a building and get to meet people from all walks of life. Being able to manage a scene and patient care as well as directing your partner(s) with ALL the proper tools is what makes it a challenge. That is what I like about EMS. Then there is the small fact that what I do may benefit someone else. But if all I wanted to do was to help someone, I could find easier ways to accomplish it.

I really believe that most actions are explained by the ethical theory of psychological egoism. In a nutshell, it says our actions are based on selfishness. I think that anyone in EMS does so because it satisfies something within us, somehow, it supports our selfish ways. The question as to what makes it right or wrong is what number of people are affected by these selfish reasons. For example, the FD's who run EMS are normally doing so to improve their own agenda, the Volleys are there mostly to focus on their own glory and self satisfaction, and the paid personnel are there for the love of the work and profession. That being said, as we have discussed multiple times, the best one is the one where the least number of people are affected, a utilitarianism approach, which I think most people agree is paid, professional, EMS only agencies.

Ouch. Well put, but I've always hated ethical egoism. I think it does a good job of describing how some people function but I've never been willing to make the jump that anything moral we do comes from enlightened self-interest.

Why? There are plenty of valid arguments against psychological egoism, what is yours? Do you think the reason people volunteer EMS is solely to help others? Or do you think there is a large degree based on self interest? I vote for self interest, as it is mostly self interest that guides someone to makes EMS a career, as well as self interest that guides someone to become a volunteer EMT. At least my reasons are mostly based off self interest, and not benevolence. I find it hard to believe that someone volunteers in EMS to help others, there are easier ways to help others than to do EMS.

That's the problem with ethical egoism. It doesn't describe why we ought to do things and attempt to set an ethical standard. Ethics is by it's nature a half step out of reality, creating things to strive for and establish the foundation for moral codes. Yes they're problematic and idealistic, but I find that's the whole point. Ethical egoism is a theory that takes how we act and creates a standard that fits it. Its cogent, it explains so much of human behaviour and the weird things we do perfectly and it creates the perfect slippery slope for people to justify what they do.

I don't doubt that it fits, I just doubt that's its really an ethical theory. I'd rather be the idealist when it comes to ethics.

Anyways, I won't hijack this thread any further. I'd gladly keep playing ethics in PM or on another thread though. I love this stuff.

Cheers,

- Matt

Well this video has me convinced. I'm quitting my job to go volunteer in NJ.

Does anyone know what insurance these people have if they get a career ending injury? And by this I don't mean their EMS volunteer "career" but maybe a back injury that stops them from being able to perform their actual job. Probably not the thing that all those 18 year olds are thinking about...

• 2 weeks later...
I rarely come to this board, but as a paid EMT I have never hated wackers as much as I do now. Thank you youtube. God damn ass backwards state I work in. Thank god I'm in college.

Hate is such a misused word. I don't rate Volunteer EMS on the same level that I do terrorists.. You already failed. You're from New Jersey, stay there, everyone knows you people can't drive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.