You Tube and Suicide

Happiness

Okay Im not a big You tube person but sometimes I will take alittle tour. I typed in Spirits and Ghost and believe it or not eventually I go to video's of people committing suicide. I don't know if they are all real because to tell you the truth I didn't want to watch them (I watched 2) Now what I can't believe is that You Tube would accually let people post these things on the site and I was appaulled at the amount of times they were viewed. Here is one of the Videos. Anyone else have an opinion of this topic?

I don't like it, but I also don't like the shock sites that post gruesome pictures (an example would be the now defunct ogrish.com). Just because I dislike something or find something distasteful doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to call for it to be censored.

The blood is fake, it was added after the thing was filmed. The guy didn't actually kill himself on cam for the world to see, besides how many gun shots have shimmering puddles of blood on the wall?

I think the point happiness was trying for was should stuff like this be seen on youtube or anywhere else for that matter. Kids get ideals weither its fake or not the next kid might decide to do the real thing like some have tried in chatrooms.

I think the point happiness was trying for was should stuff like this be seen on youtube or anywhere else for that matter.

I'd say that's a valid question for 97.6 percent of all videos on YouTube.

The real question is would not allowing videos like that to be posted on Youtube, Google video, etc. really have an impact on the teen suicide rate? If a teen is determined that they want to die they won't go watch people do it, they'll go do it themselves.

The real question is would not allowing videos like that to be posted on Youtube, Google video, etc. really have an impact on the teen suicide rate? If a teen is determined that they want to die they won't go watch people do it, they'll go do it themselves.

You have a good point there if anyone kid, adult or whatever wants to kill themselves they will succeed. But Is putting this stuff out there to reinforce the ideal or make it look cool ok? Personally I say no, I am not into censorship but I think that there should be some taste in them. Glorifying it only makes it more appealing and cool and the "in" thing to do.

... Glorifying it only makes it more appealing and cool and the "in" thing to do.

I agree but at what point does it stop being protecting the general public and start breaking First Amendment rights of freedom of speech?

I agree but at what point does it stop being protecting the general public and start breaking First Amendment rights of freedom of speech?

If you want to exercise your Freedom of Speech, go out on the street and have a peaceful gathering.. The first amendment does not extend to physical private property. You are at the helm, of the service provider's discretion. Neither The Bill of Rights, nor The Constitutional Amendments guarantee your Freedom to Speak, on the internet. A lot of sites are very good at allowing individualism and free expression. However, with continual abuse; its only a matter of time till a line has to be drawn.