Monkeys and EMS

Dustdevil

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know originally I read this analogy, laughed and hit the red X.

I have decided to come back to it today and snip it to inser onto the first slide of the next contiuing education class I instruct.

I plan to challenge my peers to come up with as many things as they can to be written on the board, that they do, and really have no educational background as to "why"!!

This should be fun :lol:

I'm not sure what the "red x" is. :? I don't guess I have those.

But I'm interested to see how honest and self-critical the students can be!

Just remember that this goes way beyond our medical practice. Medicine is only half of our job. This speaks also to our operational policies and procedures. It speaks to everything from how you write your reports, to how you schedule your shifts, to what siren tones you use.

Once again, an excellent thought provoking piece from Dust.

The mindset in question isn't exclusive to EMS, though. I can remember when I was a nursing student that we were required to turn the open-end of the pillowcase away from the door. Do you why? Florence Nightingale had done the same in the Crimean War (early 19th century) to stop the sand getting into the pillowcases and irritating the scalp of a wounded soldier.

I was a student nurse in the late 1980's!

WM

The one thing that separates human kind from animals? Fear of vacuum cleaners! :lol:

Honestly, a lot of what we do could be considered "monkey skills." IV, Intubation, 12 lead etc. The real ART of the profession lies in 1. assessment skill and the ability to translate what is seen/found to a plan of action, and 2. bedside manner, because, as the patient, typically I don't have enough knowledge to know if you (the practitioner) have "mad skills," but I can tell if you were rude/condescending or not. This is PRIMARILY where the patient's opinion of the practitioner/service/EMS in general will stem from.

And a monkey could throw poop at a pt when they piss them off. :D

A glitch prevents me from posting the link, but for extra credit, type "always done it that way" into the search field at snopes.com, and enjoy.

LOL... not really a glitch. Snopes goes out of their way to assure that nobody hotlinks or jacks any of their content.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.