EMTs and EMT-Is speak out!

letmesleep

Oh my, has the "little man" EMT upset the Paragod?

You are the one who barged in with the mud slinging and slander. I just gave you back your own vitrol. You started this attack, not me, typical Paragod syndrome iffen you-all axe me..

Yes God, I is uneducated, reckon us Gawga folks is just dumber that a box o rocks.

Guess I wasted all that time in college and tech school, not to mention all the professional development courses I've taken over the years.

Gee, Dairy Queen, nah, I failed the entrance exam, kept mixing the whipped cream and chocolate up.

I guess I'll crawl back into my lil ole Rebel double wide trailer, and strum my ole banjo.

Give me a PM if you want details.

Hey man, you said it, not me. You can joke around about me thinking you're uneducated because you're live in my old Uncle Sherman's favorite shooting ground, but the truth is that I think you're uneducated because you are one of those people who can't even grasp how much they don't know. Usually insulting my mother would get you a one way ticket to flamedom, but the nice thing about having a couple of years under your belt is that you can just say "You know something, you can flap your gums all you want, but at the end of the day, only one of us can really say with authority they know what it takes to be a good paramedic." And that ain't you, pardner.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned in the past, some Paragods do a nasty thing called the "Paramedic Push", or "Paramedic Shove". This is illustrated by the tendency to physically push away the EMTs, and sometimes the EMTs do it to the first responders, from the patients.

In my experience, I'd venture to guesstimate that the shove is justified about half of the time. Not to ignore or discount the jerks out there who do it routinely, because they definitely exist. No doubt about that. And there is no excuse for that. I personally will laugh when they get knocked on their arses.

However, there is an equally prevalent phenomenon, where EMTs and other first responders are so tunnel-visioned on their role, that they have the world around them tuned out. Somehow they missed the screaming siren and loudly idling engine of the ambulance that just parked behind them, and are now seemingly oblivious to the fact that I, standing directly behind them, and about eighteen inches from their ear, have tapped them on the shoulder and asked them no less than three times, "what have you got?" as I tried to wedge in between them and the six other whackers that are smothering my patient. At this point, physical removal has become my only option. Shove back, and you're going to the hospital in a second ambulance, and then to jail.

You rarely hear of this happening with truly experienced professionals. They are more keenly attuned to their surroundings, so they know when the medics have arrived, and they are awaiting the opportunity to give a report without being asked multiple times. But the majority of the time that you hear of this happening, it's some low-time volly whacker who is too adrenaline driven to know what's going on around him, as well as not yet knowing his role in the continuum of care, causing him to not know when to let go.

As always, the answer is better education for all, including first responders.

Well - I've held my tongue this long - I guess it's time for me to jump in here.

First - you all will notice I have not, nor will I ever "bash" a basic. I cannot and will not tolerate the paragod mentality. God forbid anyone view me in that attitude.

Second - that being said, a basic is truly nothing more than a glorified first responder. It is an appropriate level for a police officer, firefighter, rescue squad member, etc that are nothing more than first response. It is there to assist me when needed on scene and to have the minimal basic knowledge to prevent them from killing my patient. They can be helpful, but they do not, nor should I expect them to have the understanding and comprehension of why and everything that I do. That comes with experience and also education. Something that no matter how motivated the EMT - 120 hour course simply cannot teach.

Third - any service that places a fresh medic on the street with a basic isn't worth a hill of beans. I've learned that in my time as a preceptor and instructor with 8 years experience behind me - 10 in total for EMS. A new medic should shadow a seasoned medic for at least a year to gain experience and build confidence. Especially in areas similar to where I am. A new medic that loses their composure is worthless. It's not fair to the medic, the partner, or the patient.

Fourth - yes I am an advocate for progressing education because I want to see ems workers viewed more as a nurse is as a professional and recognizing those of us who worked hard to obtain degrees to finally be compensated for the amount of money that is spent pursuing them. My degree involved inorganic, organic chemistry, a semester each of anatomy and physiology, composition, calculus, microbiology, in addition to physics, a semester of cardiology, pharmacology, &other supporting courses. I could have applied easily to medical school with my degree and satisfied all the requirements for admission. I considered it, but decided against it for now. I may revisit that option in a few years. My degree is in emergency care and fire science. I am proud to say I have it, and I have definitely found it beneficial to me and helped in the understanding of why I am performing certain interventions or why the body is behaving a certain way in a disease process. I don't have the understanding of a physician, but I feel well prepared to care for my patients.

Finally - I view the "levels" of ems similar to nursing. A basic is the equivalent to a CNA - you are there to assist the medic but not enough to truly care individually for the patient. It's your starting point, and yes you should have some experience there - though time at that level is debatable - however who wants to be a butt wiper for the rest of their career? Most strive for better. An intermediate is similar to a nursing student in clinicals or an LPN,a taste of true nursing, but not fully competent to be on their own yet, but much more independent and knowledgeable than a CNA. Finally a medic should be the equivalent to an RN. Granted nurses are taught little about a lot and medics alot about a little, and the demands are different, but the degrees should be viewed as equal promoting a more professional view of paramedics.

Keep in mind I've had some fantastic basic partners that will be excellent paramedics because of their attitude and their willingness to learn. I'll also say that using a basic or intermediate for nothing more than a gopher is not benefitting either the medic or the lower level who may be trying to learn and is working at that level while pursuing higher education. As others have stated I've also known some with a know it all attitude that be a basic or medic I would never want to work with them. They are a disservice to their patients. The paragod mentality no matter the level will get you nowhere.

Stay safe and smart everyone.

EMTs are like the wetbacks of EMS. They provide cheap, uneducated, unskilled labour that keeps wages down for the qualified professionals.

Ouch! Dust that really hurts (and a little offensive too).

But I do understand your sentiment; now better than ever. I am a basic and have been working several years as such, however I have started to take the next step. I now am beginning to understand how much I don't know. I am about half way through my medic schooling, I study my a** off and constantly ask questions of the more experienced paramedics I work with. So much so that "they" having jokingly set a rule for me to follow of 20 minutes or 20 questions which ever comes first. I enjoy researching my question and then comparing my conclusion with that of highly educated paramedics, nurses and doctors I pull clinicals and work with. I think I have learned (am learning) as much from my questions and challenges given to me, as I do in class. Saying that I know that the only way I have even a semi-intelligent answer to offer is through the class work. I find myself gathering a deeper understanding through the critical thinking required of me.

As far as the P vs I vs B (taking it a step further)vs FR goes: I think the public (first and foremost) and our profession (distant second) would be well served getting rid of the First Responder training making it the current NR Basic course. Setting a minimal requirement of a hybrid I-99* class (IV's, intubations, Pathophys, A & P etc{roughly 85-90% of the current NR Paramedic course}) if not full out "dual medic" trucks.

* I do not know what is in the I-99 class course.

I love being a paramedic. I always wanted to be a paramedic, and it would have been the greatest job in the world if things went my way all the time. Of course, my way would be to eliminate anything that is not a paramedic with a four year degree (at least) on the ambulances, period. I don't see that happening anytime soon, and as a result of sheer frustration at the total crap I've had to put up with working EMS since I became a paramedic, I've opted to change directions and pursue another degree. I'm not waiting until hell freezes over for things to change. I'm getting too old to screw around anymore.

The service I worked for where I currently live, puts paramedics through a six month medic mill class, makes them do some ride time, and some clinicals, and throws them into the fire after six whole shifts under a preceptor once they become certified. Did I mention a lot of them brag about getting signatures on clinicals they never actually went to? Did I mention the registry test is put on by the company? Did I mention most of them can't find their way around a patient with a map and flashlight? That's just the paramedic side... It gets worse. Oh yes, worse.

The EMT folks are everyday people that come in off the street, get put through a months worth of class, including geography, map-reading, and some other BS they throw in there to make them seem special. They ride a few shifts, and get tossed into the mix for some poor, unsuspecting paramedic to end up with. That was generally me, since I picked the shifts I wanted to work for the last several months I was there. I'd get these brand spankin' new EMT's, and they would do several things in a shift that would cause me so much aggravation that I would nearly have a stroke by the time my shift was over.

I'll list them, to make things easy.

1. They would haul-ass out of the truck with nothing more in their hands but their wee-wee's and start asking insane questions to patients, family, and anyone that would listen. I would be left attempting to bring in a monitor and drug bag, etc. I would then have to smooth over anything stupid these kids would say and begin a real assessment.

2. They have no idea how to put on a monitor, set up an IV, or perform a 12-lead correctly. They do not know the names and locations of all the equipment on the truck. I'd rather work alone, and often, I do.

3. They drive at mach speed. They think the lights and sirens affords them the ability to be completely visible to all the moron drivers, and that they have some cool shield around them making them crash proof. I get a sore throat from screaming "slow down a$$hole" 200 times in a shift.

4. They think it's okay to talk to their baby daddy while driving. Nope, nadda, not on my truck. Hang up and drive. Don't eat, don't talk, don't think about anything but how you are going to ensure I go home in one piece, and free of scratches.

5. They don't understand that "hold back" from a scene means you don't drive within a 10 block radius of said scene. They are not heros, they are not cops, they are not cool. I'm going home after my shift, I don't care where they go.

6. I know more then they know, period. I went to school for a very long time to know more. I went to an actual college and have a piece of paper quite a bit bigger than your little card. I'm not impressed by their month long achievement. I'm really not impressed when they contradict me in front of patients, family, or bystanders, especially because they will be wrong. I'm also not impressed when they give the wrong information to patients, family, or bystanders. They only need to go up front, be quiet, and drive us to the hospital when I say it's time.

7. They ask me how to get to the hospital. They ask me how to get out of the development they drove us into. While they were sitting up front being totally useless they could have been mapping out their course to the hospital. I do not like to take attention away from my patient to give them directions. I'm pretty sure my patient doesn't appreciate it either.

8. They are not "ghetto." They are not "boyz n tha hood." Neither I, nor my patients want to hear ebonics on my truck. They can speak English, or be silent.

I put in a shift or two a month at this company now. If I can figure out how to acquire all the CEU's I need to maintain my paramedic without their refresher, I will work no shifts for them. When I work, it is exclusively with my husband, who is also a paramedic. I will not, do not, and will never again work with any of their EMTs.

I plan on keeping my paramedic, and when I finish this degree, I plan returning my focus to EMS. I want to see it change, and I'd like to be a part of the change. In the meantime, I prefer to spend my required working hours in the hospital, around my true colleagues. I hate the leaving work feeling that I lost brain cells throughout the day.

I hear all the B's and I's twisting in their undies calling me a paragod under their breath. I could honestly care less what any EMT or paramedic thinks of me. I know I'm not a "paragod." I'm a medical professional that knows the value of all that book learnin'. I put the time, money, and dedication into college. I'm still putting time, money, and dedication into college. I don't have time for excuses or sob stories about how you can't afford education, you don't need education, or you don't have time for education. It's funny how the people that do all the "paragod" name calling are the same ones that make the excuses for why they won't further their education to my level.

Bottom line, if you want something bad enough, you'll figure out a way to obtain it. I have two sayings that I use frequently in my life. "Lead by example" and "talk is cheap." Put up, or shut up.

3. They drive at mach speed. They think the lights and sirens affords them the ability to be completely visible to all the moron drivers, and that they have some cool shield around them making them crash proof. I get a sore throat from screaming "slow down a$$hole" 200 times in a shift.

A favorite "tool" of the paramedics I work with is the roll of the three inch tape. It has many uses and leaves a nice little sting when an EMT or another Paramedic starts driving like an "a$$hole" Plus it saves your voice, just in case you get stuck working with one in the future.

EMS49393, what you're describing is a big part of what caused me to take a break from EMS. I went though the exact same thing you have. Except, I'm not sure how it is in Baltimore, but imagine those same cell phone blabbing, card waving, ebonics speaking individuals are not just your EMT back up but also your supervisors too. You'd be where I was. It is frustrating beyond belief, and not only that, it is just too much of liability to be held accountable for the actions of the GED and 120 hours of training set. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Oh, and my hats off to you for working the streets of Bodymore, Murderland... I mean Baltimore. :-D