"They've" done it again! "You want me to what

The MTA is allowed to charge the city for vehicles going over their bridges and tunnels - even if they're running hot? (Your original post makes it sound as if responding units get charged by the EZ-Pass system.) Do they charge NYC when those units respond to an MVA on the bridge?

"Hot" or "cold", up until now the vehicles got free passage. Now the MTA is supposed to bill NYC for the vehicles using the facility, presumably even if the emergency is on that facility.

The big headache for private ambulances in Cleveland is the red-light cameras. (And why, oh why, would you put a red-light camera two blocks from an ER entrance?)

All I can tell you is, the Red Light Camera showing vehicles violating the red signal at Beach Channel Drive and Hassock Street, heading into Rockaway from Nassau County, probably has numerous pictures of the butt end of my ambulance travelling "Code 3" (L&S)as I've transported patients from the county line, or from the Redfern Houses Project, to St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway.

As for changing the timing, so more people would end up as violators, well, they do earn income for the city.

Then, there's the guy got a picture of his car breaking the law by going through the red signal, demanding the fine. He sent a picture of the amount to the authorities. He then got a picture of a set of handcuffs. He got the hint, and sent the check.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, is the MTA city or state run? If it's city...that's retarded. If it's state, then ok...kinda makes sense. Big trucks, especially ones that carry large cargo (water included) really can, over time dammage roads, and presumably bridges. When I was on the FD, our engines carried 1000gal of water (approx. 8000 lbs) just in water weight. Now, FDNY probably doesn't run with trucks with THAT much water (no need, we are rual desert district). But with water weight at about 8lbs/gal, just the water is heavy.

FDNY operates via hydrants, so the pump companies, here known simply as Engine companies, have a 500 gallon tank. We don't use water supply tanker companies.

However, the Sanitation department uses large single body tanker trucks for spraying the street clean, kind of like using hi pressure water spray jets under the truck to "sweep" assorted dust, dirt, and light garbage to the side of the road. I don't recall ever seeing one of them up on an MTA bridge, except possibly with a snow blade on the front during snow emergencies.

The big headache for private ambulances in Cleveland is the red-light cameras. (And why, oh why, would you put a red-light camera two blocks from an ER entrance?) Where I work, we've often received tickets in the mail with a nice color picture, clearly showing an ambulance with emergency lights on, going through an intersection 45 or 60 seconds after the red time. It's a joke. My employer fights them if the lights are flashing, otherwise they bill the crew for the $150 fine.

Interesting. In California all red light camera pictures are required to be reviewed by law enforcement prior to the violator being issued a citation. As such, any emergency vehicle driving emergently would never (shouldn't) be issued a citation. I have a theory, though, that they end up throwing out most emergency vehicle pictures regardless of private v public, emergent v non-emergent.

Interesting. In California all red light camera pictures are required to be reviewed by law enforcement prior to the violator being issued a citation. As such, any emergency vehicle driving emergently would never (shouldn't) be issued a citation. I have a theory, though, that they end up throwing out most emergency vehicle pictures regardless of private v public, emergent v non-emergent.

That is mighty nice of them, at the agency I used to work for, they have had ambulances issued red light camera citations, which were to be paid by the employee driving.

Well, to be fair, my theory is based off of N=1. Of course things like no clear view of the drivers face (there might have been glare) or other technicalities might have been present at that intersection (like one of the required signs being located directly behind a tree).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.