What does your work out routine consist of???

CheekyEMT

i am STARVING whenever i leave even a light workout.

Then you're doing it wrong, lol.

When I leave my workout, I am too exhausted to eat. I just want to go to bed.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm not dragging my heels, I run at the mouth and grasp at straws while jumping to conclusions; or else I'll be dodging criticism by going round in circles and wading through paperwork. Alternately, I try to throw my weight around while jumping on the bandwagon and passing the buck, and once in a while I add fuel to the fire as I spin my wheels, and every day that I'm not climbing the walls I'm pushing my luck.

I presume you exercise early in the day, before your brain wakes up and sees what you are doing?

nope.... i gotta convince myself that its time to go. i hate mornings almost as much as i hate the gym. i dont necessarily hate working out, and one of our local rc's has been getting me n one of my partners in the gym with him. we all seem to have better workouts that way. hell, i even willingly did bench presses!!

and now i'm sick, so thats my excuse for the next few days.

Problem I have been running into is the weight loss. I don't need to lose anything, in fact gaining a few wouldn't be so bad. I lost a few when I was sick last month and it hasn't stopped. I"m not exercising to lose weight, I"m exercising to be healthy, but it seems as though I'm dropping between .5-1lb/day. Every morning I weigh myself and it's always down by half to one pound from the day before. I weigh 126lbs and am 5'4. I've dropped 2 pant sizes since I was in the hospital. I've always exercised like this , I enjoy running...it makes me feel good and it's my "little escape" and how I like to spend the little bit of "me" time that I get.

If you're consistently losing this kind of weight (up to seven pounds a week?!) then you need to talk to your doctor.

I supplement to be sure my body is getting everything it needs and add the whey protein to maintain the lean muscle, so I don't lose any of that.

If you really are eating a rounded, healthy diet then you don't need to waste money on dietary supplements. What's more, if you're ensuring that you're eating a well rounded, healthy diet then your family is most likely eating one as well. That will carry over to your kids developing healthy eating habits for when they become adults, too.

If you are looking for help with this speak with a Registered Dietician (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is... NOT some quack who labels him/her-self a "nutritionist"). An RD can help you evaluate your current diet (taking your work out into consideration) and help you plan for yourself and family.

I"m not restricting my diet, well , not any different then I was before. I don't eat junk, I"m pretty much a health freak. Hubby gets annoyed with it sometimes, he says I go over board. But I prefer a healthy lifestyle. I can eat a big fat steak and then have a chocolate bar every day and I'd still be losing. My doc weighs me once a month to keep track of it.

I'm no eating disorder expert. But every person I've known who has suffered from one has made statements similar to the above. The fact that your doctor is weighing you regularly suggests that there may some deeper lying concern.

All I'm looking to do is get my exercise level back up to where it was before I was sick. What I'm doing now isn't giving me the work out I want....I have a hell of a time getting my heart rate up to my target zone and keeping it there through the entire work out......Most times I never get it up to the target zone. I think I'd have to increase the pace and incline on the treadmill almost twice what it is now to get it there. After 15 min's at a pace of 6 and incline of 5 my heart rate is only 90 and I can still talk on the phone..lol....yes, I have done that the odd time. But as Richard pointed out, I don't have the doc's approval to be doing any of this right now and don't want to over do it until I talk to him.

To get back up to where you were takes time. It took a while to get there, it'll take a while to get back. Be patient. Work with your doctor. See if s/he can recommend some PT or a service that offers personal trainer services (complete with dietary assistance from a Registered Dietician).

Push yourself too hard, too fast and it'll backfire. Consider the patience you'll need to get back to where you were part of your work out.

But talk with your doc first.

-be safe

If you're consistently losing this kind of weight (up to seven pounds a week?!) then you need to talk to your doctor.

If you really are eating a rounded, healthy diet then you don't need to waste money on dietary supplements. What's more, if you're ensuring that you're eating a well rounded, healthy diet then your family is most likely eating one as well. That will carry over to your kids developing healthy eating habits for when they become adults, too.

If you are looking for help with this speak with a Registered Dietician (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is... NOT some quack who labels him/her-self a "nutritionist"). An RD can help you evaluate your current diet (taking your work out into consideration) and help you plan for yourself and family.

I'm no eating disorder expert. But every person I've known who has suffered from one has made statements similar to the above. The fact that your doctor is weighing you regularly suggests that there may some deeper lying concern.

To get back up to where you were takes time. It took a while to get there, it'll take a while to get back. Be patient. Work with your doctor. See if s/he can recommend some PT or a service that offers personal trainer services (complete with dietary assistance from a Registered Dietician).

Push yourself too hard, too fast and it'll backfire. Consider the patience you'll need to get back to where you were part of your work out.

But talk with your doc first.

-be safe

My daily diet always consists of

Breakfast: Yogurt with granola in it

After morning workout I have a protein shake with frozen fruit blended in

Maybe a banana or apple around 10am

Lunch is always a salad

Mid afternoon I usually have some sunflower seeds or an All bran bar or something like that.

Dinner, is whatever everyone else wants. If they want red meat, I eat a boneless skinless chicken breast. After dinner I don't eat anything. Nothing again until the next morning. With the exception of a bottle of water.

I'm not a fan of milk, that's why I take a calcium supplement. I drink about 6 bottles of water a day and go through an 18.9Litre cooler jug of water every 2 wks between the entire family.

I think if my doc felt there was reason to be concerned about eating habits he would have said something. It's not something I've even considered(your mention of an eating disorder), I've never looked at it that way and the thought has actually never crossed my mind. To me it's always just been me being very particular about what I'm putting into my body. I have had friends tell me I am obsessed with the exercise and eating healthy and as mentioned before, hubby thinks I go over board with the healthy eating thing, but it's never been anymore to me then that. If I don't get at least one workout in during the day I feel like I can't go to bed until I have. So I'll go downstairs and jump on the treadmill for half an hour .

The only thing I can honestly say I'm obsessed about is the amount of calories taken in per day. I know exactly what I"m taking in and exactly what I burn in a work out based on what the treadmill etc calculates. I will keep going on the treadmill, tired or not until I have burned a min of 300kcal, then I feel like I can stop.

Any juice in the house is always 100% juice, I primarily only buy V8 fusion which gives you a full serving of fruit and a full serving of vegetables in a 250 ml glass

The kids eat whole grains, no sugary crap ( very rare occasion), they are not allowed pop .....there's always cut up fruit and veggies in the fridge for them and milk 4 times a day

Obviously the baby is still on formula and baby food, so there's nothing crappy in his diet.

I'm not against talking to a dietician....It would probably be a good idea to have them tell me what I should be taking in every day to keep up with the workouts and daily calorie needs, and to be sure I'm getting everything I should.

I've always had a hard time gaining weight. Even when I was pregnant with Adam, or any of the kids for the matter. With Adam I didn't gain a single pound until the last 8 wks and only gained 15lbs in total with that pregnancy.

I weighed myself every morning at the same time consistently over the past 6 days and over that duration of time I lost a total of 2.5lbs.....so for whatever reason that wk my body decided to hold on to it. It may just be a matter of increasing the calories and reducing the work out.

Cheeky, you said

I'm not against talking to a dietician....It would probably be a good idea to have them tell me what I should be taking in every day to keep up with the workouts and daily calorie needs, and to be sure I'm getting everything I should.

Except for this forum, obviously we've never met, however, I must strongly not suggest, but urge you to set up appointments with your primary care doctor, the nutricianist, and possibly a physical therapist, to determine what amounts and types of food and/or excercize you need to get you to where your weight should be, to keep you healthy for whatever your "body type" is.

Don't use my joke used in "defence" of my own obesity that "per the weight and height charts, I'm not overweight, I'm under-tall. I should be 7 foot 9 inch". We both know that won't fly.

Cheeky:

Again, I'm no expert on eating disorders, but based on your follow up post (just a couple above this one), and based on my experience with friends who've suffered from them, you are either well on your way or full blown into one. Your diet, in a word, SUCKS!

That's great you want to be in shape and be fit and all that. Your diet is not helping you reach or maintain that goal. A healthy diet does not consist of eating the same foods day after day (as evidenced by you saying your "daily diet always consists of...").

Maybe, just maybe, part of the reason you are having trouble returning to your perceived pre-injury/illness level of fitness is because you are eating ridiculously poorly. Variety, for good reason, is the spice of life (sorry for the cliche). You have no variety in what you eat. That is, in a word, bad.

Please, for the love of all things good and healthy, talk with your doctor and see a real life, honest to goodness dietician recommended by your physician. If not for that reason, then for the sake of your own health and that of your family. Trust me on this, it's not any fun to watch a family member starve him/her-self to death.

Get help and fast.

-be safe

The only thing I can honestly say I'm obsessed about is the amount of calories taken in per day. I know exactly what I"m taking in and exactly what I burn in a work out based on what the treadmill etc calculates. I will keep going on the treadmill, tired or not until I have burned a min of 300kcal, then I feel like I can stop.

Before, I thought Mike was overreacting a tad... but now I agree after this quote. You're not necessarily in a full blown eating disorder, and it is good to be MINDFUL of what you eat and how much you exercise... but this indicates a level past mindfulness that is pushing towards obsession. Obsession leads to eating disorders, which leads to a lot of physical and psychological problems.

Take care of yourself! Let us know how things work out. :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Meh... some people are just anal about stuff like that. My mother knows exactly how many calories are in each carefully measured portion of food she eats, but she certainly doesn't have an eating disorder. She's just anal. It's genetic.