Bus / Ambulance Driver

Christopher.Collins

Ok so this isnt entirley funny but when I opened up this months JEMS that I finally got today the 12th... instead of the begining of the month like I should I found an ad (pg 40) I found rather humerous.

For thoes who dont have a subscription, or one of these products, now we can say we drive a bus:

http://www.crestlinecoach.com/specialty.php

Again, not laugh out loud funny, but it still brought a grin to me.

Different manufacturer, but the FDNY EMS Command has at least 4 (possibly 5?)of those type vehicles. We call them either MERVs or MIRVs, for, respectively, Mobile Emergency Room Vehicles (Pre-Merger), or Major Incident Response Vehicles (Post-Merger).

Best of my knowledge, my MIRVs can handle 5, no kitchen, no bathroom facilities even for the crew.

Basically, it is set up as a kind of mobile ER at the scene. Crews attempt stabilization (Treatment Sector of the Multi Casualty Incident), and then the patient(s) are transported (Transportation Sector) by regular BLS or ALS to the designated receiving hospital(s).

Originally, the MERVs were on converted school bus chassis, then one on a large single body truck. We are back to specially built vehicles on what I believe to be "Over the Road" type bus frames, like those VanHools mentioned in the linked article.

(Thanks for the update, as I thought the VanHools I see sometimes within New York City were the transportation companies that ran them, like "Greyhound Bus Company, not the vehicle itself, like a General Motors Corporation, or Ford, vehicle.)

The funny thing is that both the buses pictured (they are the actual buses pictured) are from my service.

They are referred to as "support units" and are generally dispatched to all fire and MCI'ish calls (when available, which is probably less than a 50/50 shot on any given call of that type).

It's a hassle to work on them, and thankfully I have only been on them once.

(Thanks for the update, as I thought the VanHools I see sometimes within New York City were the transportation companies that ran them, like "Greyhound Bus Company, not the vehicle itself, like a General Motors Corporation, or Ford, vehicle.)

VanHools is well known for supplying buses for city transit systems such as in California in the Bay area.

However, there are very mixed reviews on them.

Just an observation, but the passengers I see boarding those VanHools seem to either be speaking French or German, and if English is heard, it is a UK accent.

What is the VanHool bus' country of manufacture?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.