I'm an ambulance driver so I can make illegal u-turns

spenac

Holy crap. Had to rewind and make sure pain pills did not make me dream this crap. On Tru-TV show Speeders they nailed a guy named Adrian from Santa Cruz, CA gets caught in Redondo Beach for doing an illegal u-turn. His excuse I'm an ambulance driver for 17 years and the way we drive ambulances just carrys over to every day driving. He calls himself an ambulance driver. Has he no pride in our profession? Does he drive like an idiot in the ambulance as well?

What a disgrace. Adrian if your on this site leave and leave my profession now.

http://www.trutv.com/shows/speeders/episodes.html

Idiots like that make us all look bad. I personally take offense to anyone calling me an ambulance driver.

Of course down south here its "Am-Bo-Lance driver"...

My partner and I went on a call one night late, arriving at the house you could almost hear the banjo in the background.

Our patient was a 55 year old drunk VFW floozie who was clutching her abdomen and complaining of Chest pain. Her three toothed son, with his bulging beer belly stood by with a lip full of Copenhagen and gave us his version or her history.

She alternated between puking and hitting up on my partner, with occasional grasps at her belly.

As he tried to keep a measure of calm and assess her, her son looked over at me and asked , "What you got to do to be a Am-Bo-Lance driver any how?"

I told him that to be an EMT you had to take a year long course at the local college, and then take the state test.

He spat out a mouthfull of juice, and said, "Aw Hell, reckon you got ta have a damn ole GED fer that..."

Sounds like this guy is of the same caliber.

Not to excuse anything done or said here, and I can't access the story so I don't know the guys's ems status, but don't some ambulance corps enlist some individuals only for driving, and if he's one such, is it inaccurate for him to call himself a driver? And yes I know it was wrong of him to use that as a reason for an illegal U-turn, and I know he's defamed the reputations of medics who drive. It just seemed possible, with the limited knowledge of the facts I have, that calling himself a driver may be the only legitimate part of his story.

Ok I will tell on myself. I have on occasion been driving off duty and caught myself checking an intersection to go through a red light.

My last career was a propane truck driver. One day in the family car i went to cross some railroad tracks and pulled over first as required by law at work. My wife made me ride the rest of the day while she drove.

This is not an excuse for the whacker "ambulance driver". As my problem was I had my head seriously lodged in a small orifice. :oops: :oops:

Hey, I have to admit that there have been a couple of times (after days in a row of working especially and being rather tired!) that I've come to intersections looking to see if it's clear........then catching myself thinking 'wait a minute! I can't do that in this vehicle!!' I've also had conversations with other EMT/Medics that have said the exact same thing. Not that any of us would purposely do anything.....you just get so used to doing it. Tis just the nature of the beast I suppose.

I've been accused of driving like I would if I was still driving an ambulance, especially by my mother. But nothing illegal. I still sometimes wonder what make her think that.

But this guy is a true idiot. Sounds like he's a wanna-be/ whacker that did become involved in EMS and let it go to his head. With his reasoning that he can drive anyway he wants to at all times, especially while not in an emergency vehicle is completely idiotic.

That was actually probably a very honest answer. Stuff carries over. We get maybe a 1 to 2 hours of code 3 driving within the city per busy 24hr shift...after a 72hr shift you might have to remind yourself not to start crossing over and opposing traffic :D

But yeah, way to ruin our rep with Redondo Beach PD now...