Why EMS is not likely to change any time soon..

WelshMedic

The Washington Post has published a personal article from one of it's own jounalists. It is a very readable piece that has obviously been written by a very articulate gentleman. It's message, however, says a lot about volunteerism in EMS.

Read here and see what you think.

WM

My biggest issue isn't that he is a volunteer. In fact, I'm glad he's a volunteer. This ensures that most of us will never need to work with him. For those of you who do not care to read the link, here are a few wonderful quotes and my comments.

"On the off chance that I might see something stomach-turning, I searched out a few gory Web sites and forced myself to absorb the images; after all, an EMT who recoils at the sight of a compound fracture of the tibia will not inspire much confidence."

Not something I would do... but alright.

"About a week into my training, I suddenly realized I was volunteering to put myself in a situation where someone's survival was in my hands."

Alright so sometimes an EMT (or paramedic) may make the difference between life and death, but often not.

"He pulled off his oxygen mask, took a drag, then inhaled the smoke and flames caused by the ignition of the pure oxygen."

Do they not teach EMT-Bs that oxygen doesn't burn?

"I discovered that serving as an EMT -- putting myself in tension-filled, little-room-for-error situations -- also filled a gap in my life. I need the adrenaline."

What a wonderful reason to work on an ambulance.

"I admit that I became an EMT because I needed excitement."

...super.

You would be surprised at how many people think O2 is flammable and explosive!

We know it supports combustion, but sometimes it does so explosively.

Hollywood, and possibly "Bollywood", explode "Oxygen" as much as they blow up cars in collisions, and for the same reason: Dramatic effect with poetic license from reality.

We know it supports combustion, but sometimes it does so explosively.

Hollywood, and possibly "Bollywood", explode "Oxygen" as much as they blow up cars in collisions, and for the same reason: Dramatic effect with poetic license from reality.

Technically, if it's not flammable, it can't explode (rapid oxidation wise, not pressure wise). It makes everything burn hotter and faster. Cool experiment I do with my EMT-B classes, take a lit cigarette and stick the butt end into O2 extension tubing, and run it at 2, then 4, then 6 lpm.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, this guy isn't helping us as a profession. People like him aren't the problem though, EMS is. Don't get defensive about those last two words, give me a second here to make my point.

EMS is in trouble and not likely to change because Joe Q. Public has no idea what we are. What we are also varies state to state, so what is expected in one state is ignored in another. EMS is simply not well-defined enough nation-wide to stand on its own. Many big cities incorporate EMS into their fire departments rather than as a separate service so now we're not "Paramedics" but fire fighters in an ambulance. How often are we simply called "ambulance drivers" because that's all that people know we do.

Not to get on the soap box here, but we need national standards. The National Registry is different in that it's not accepted by all states. We should use nursing as our example and make "Paramedic" as well defined to the public mind as "Nurse." I hate those Johnson and Johnson commercials that show nurses doing our jobs, but there's no unified voice for EMS to object loudly enough to make anyone pay attention and we need that voice, not just to object to a commercial, but to inform and educate the public and our leaders as to what we do and what we need to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.