When did u realize that EMS would not be ur lifelong career?

BEorP

I decided what i wanted to do before I even started school. I will most likely go for RN eventually. Paramedic has always been what i want to do but I dont see anything wrong with moving on further and maybe switching things up a little. Keeping options open.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since I was five years old being a Paramedic is all I ever really wanted to do. I blame Rescue 911 and its co-hosts of Shatner and the Lifepak 10 :D The streets may be where I start but I don't see anything wrong with becoming an ER or EMS RN or maybe even an MD (emergency med or anaesthesology).

Then again if the right balance came along I'd work on the street for my career. Who knows where I'll end up

Let me see, it was the 3 am call to the same woman we'd been to twice already that day. 450 lbs plus, seated in a ocean of her own piss, that took 4 people to lift, and put back on the bed. Knowing we would be back in about an hour when she needed another twinkie or moon pie.

That'll do it.

It was when our general manager told us that we, the understaffed and overworked field crew, had "lost him 400 calls last month" and would not be getting a promised cost of living wage increase until we made up those calls and then some. There was an opening at the children's hospital for an ER Tech, so I took it and will be starting nursing school soon.

It was when our general manager told us that we, the understaffed and overworked field crew, had "lost him 400 calls last month" and would not be getting a promised cost of living wage increase until we made up those calls and then some. There was an opening at the children's hospital for an ER Tech, so I took it and will be starting nursing school soon.

Sounds like he lost 400 calls in the thast month, and he was told that by his boss'. It all run's down hill.

5 days into my first paying gig with a private. I thought I would be practicing medicine. I thought that at the very least, I would be able to make personal connections with my patients and help them through a difficult day. (I can hear you all laughing). I am going to nursing school.

I guess its not for everybody. Im not in it to get rich, and it beats going in and doing the same job in a factory or office everyday. Ya it sucks working 24 hours away from your family and on holidays and weekends. I make a decent living and only work 9 days a month. So there are the "frequent flyers" that call you at 3 am for the same ol bs, on the flip side the job is fun and makes you feel good at times. Yes, there is alot of stress, but there are alot of times its fun. Where else can you go to work and sit around in your shorts and T shirt and get paid to do it. Its all in what you make it. I have been in the field for 11 years and will be in it for alot more to come. A trash man may make more money in some areas but what kid looks up to a trash man. I know its alittle off topic but just thought id share my thoughts... To each and his own.

Yep firedoc5, and the last thing he heard from me before I took off my uniform shirt and handed it to him was, " It's kinda funny you have a paramedic cert and your business development manager has an intermediate cert. I don't see you two getting your arses out on a truck and helping us make up those calls."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.