Any dispatchers out there?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, people, that dispatcher you diss now may be the one sending backup when you need it most (hands for a heavy lift, fire fighters for lifting or an actual fire, the LEOs if someone is threatening you on a scene with a firearm). Been on both sides of that!

Just remember, people, that dispatcher you diss now may be the one sending backup when you need it most (hands for a heavy lift, fire fighters for lifting or an actual fire, the LEOs if someone is threatening you on a scene with a firearm). Been on both sides of that!

Actually Richard, thats about my only major beef with dispatch... I had a post surgery bariatric and an 18yo partner who couldnt lift a bag of stuffed animals without complaining about shoulder pains. Not to mention the hospital stared at me and my regular sized rugged stretcher when I told them who I was here for. As soon as I met the patient I knew we'd have an issue... So after I spoke with the patient and hospital staff asking if the would mind waiting for another unit, to more comfortable accomodate him... I called dispatch.

I asked them the following; Is Explorer (our bariatric unit) available? "Yes." Is there any crews available with no scheduled calls? "Yes." Can you have one bring it to us... "why?" (To myself) Ummm maybe because you could have made it easier on everyone (you, us, the hospital, the patient) and sent us in the bariatric unit to begin with!!!! I explained to them politley the situation... "Oh uh, no!"

I asked them enough to KNOW there was no reason it couldnt be brought to us. And we were denied. I spoke to a supervisor, denied again. So my partner hurts himself and my patient becomes uncomfortable before we even leave the hospital and remains that way untill we get him to a bed. I explained everything to him politley and with sympathy, fortunatley he was cool.

But yea point is, we all have our bad moments... it happens.

Thats the thing though... Id be more surprised that dispatch didnt send it than the soup. Cuz all the dispatchers work in the field too, where as this soup is the same one who allowed me and my partner to stay in a unit with malfunctioning warning lights while there were 20 or so other available units we could use.

Errrr I never knew you could only edit within a certain time frame.

Anyways Richard, I cant remember or begin to estimate his weight... but considering he had surgical incision sites in areas that were hanging off the standard sized stretcher... that alone to me was enough. He was pretty hefty, I didnt have much of an issue... my partner on the other hand did... considering the sheet transfer had the guy rolled over onto his side rather than continuously laying flat.

You are kidding me right?

Are you here to stir the crap or what?

Do you really think dispatchers have the ability to control where the calls are at? We have just a magic wand and can point at the map "this grandma just fell down, hahahaha."

Yeah, no.

Have you spent a day in dispatch? Have you ever spent 40 hours a week answering phones and taking EMD calls? Why don't you ever stop in and say hi do your dispatchers? Come in and sit with them a day and tether up to their phone and listen to what THEY have to put up with. It amazes me that the people on both sides of the radio forget they are talking to a HUMAN, on THEIR side.

[sub:f3950e4e31]

And, I thought I left.[/sub:f3950e4e31]

You are kidding me right?

Are you here to stir the crap or what?

Do you really think dispatchers have the ability to control where the calls are at? We have just a magic wand and can point at the map "this grandma just fell down, hahahaha."

Yeah, no.

Have you spent a day in dispatch? Have you ever spent 40 hours a week answering phones and taking EMD calls? Why don't you ever stop in and say hi do your dispatchers? Come in and sit with them a day and tether up to their phone and listen to what THEY have to put up with. It amazes me that the people on both sides of the radio forget they are talking to a HUMAN, on THEIR side.

[sub:4d09dedc39]

And, I thought I left.[/sub:4d09dedc39]

Oh crap the dispatcher is back. Is this your new secret identity? :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.