shots. in pennsylvania

tamaith

hi,

i was wondering if the company you work for is suppose to provide you with tb and hep shots. i say penn cause thats where i live and the rules may change state to state. i work for two dif private companies and no one is giving me a straight answer. some say the company is suppose to pay for it others say that i am suppose t o pay for it. i asked a couple of ppl on here but i would like to see what others think as well. i don't have health insurance so if need be i just may have to find a free clinic. thanks.

From my experience it is usually on a company by company policy. Some decide it is worth spending the money on prevention others think its just cheaper to replace you so they let you get them at your own expense.

Now if you are exposed at work then there are laws involved that dictate what companys must do. But for prevention I am aware of no laws forcing services to pay.

I was told to provide proof before I even could enroll in school. I like it better that way. I prefer to be immunized against hep b BEFORE I even come in contact with it or any other communicable diseases.

Immunizations are just that, preventative and if you happen to come into contact with something then you are safe. I would not wait on NO ONE to "issue" these to me. Personally it is YOUR career field YOU chose to enter and YOU should be liable to protect yourself. That is the #1 thing I learned in school personal safety. (and bsi ect) JMHO.

When I went to nursing school we had to get the immunizations on our own as Timmy said. Fortunately I was still working part time as a paramedic and my employer paid for all immunizations and a yearly physical including PFT's because we carried SCBA's. I think the employer should pay for these but it does vary from company to company.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

hi,

i was wondering if the company you work for is suppose to provide you with tb and hep shots. i say penn cause thats where i live and the rules may change state to state. i work for two dif private companies and no one is giving me a straight answer. some say the company is suppose to pay for it others say that i am suppose t o pay for it. i asked a couple of ppl on here but i would like to see what others think as well. i don't have health insurance so if need be i just may have to find a free clinic. thanks.

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, your employer is REQUIRED to provide you TB screening.

Taken directly from the OSHA website regarding vaccinations.

Hepatitis B Vaccination and Post-exposure Evaluation and Follow-up --

1910.1030(f)(1)

General.

1910.1030(f)(1)(i)

The employer shall make available the hepatitis B vaccine and vaccination series to all employees who have occupational exposure, and post-exposure evaluation and follow-up to all employees who have had an exposure incident.

1910.1030(f)(1)(ii)

The employer shall ensure that all medical evaluations and procedures including the hepatitis B vaccine and vaccination series and post-exposure evaluation and follow-up, including prophylaxis, are:

1910.1030(f)(1)(ii)(A)

Made available at no cost to the employee;

1910.1030(f)(1)(ii)(B)

Made available to the employee at a reasonable time and place;1910.1030(f)(1)(ii)©

Performed by or under the supervision of a licensed physician or by or under the supervision of another licensed healthcare professional;

That at least covers one of the vaccinations you are talking about. I believe the flu shot is covered under OSHA as well, but I don't have the time to look that one up.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.sh...&p_id=10051

thank you for all the responses. after a week of working in the main company i had to sign a paper about the vaccines i had two choices i could either mark the box that said i already have my shots or i refuse. so i asked the person about this who told me to fill it out. because i didn't have my shots and i didn't want to refuse. her reply was i don't know i only hand out the papers. sorry. but after reading my employer still has to provide for me B)

1910.1030(f)(2)(iii)

If the employee initially declines hepatitis B vaccination but at a later date while still covered under the standard decides to accept the vaccination, the employer shall make available hepatitis B vaccination at that time.

I've never had any preventative "shots".. Aside from HATING needles.. or anything that pierces my skin.. I wasn't aware it was necessary. I was given a free of charge dose of benadryl IM after something bit my arm at a forest fire.. Though, I'd rather have paid.. and not gotten anything at all. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.