Loving/ living with another in EMS

letmesleep

My boy and I are engaged... both members of a search and rescue team. Both EMT's. It works very well for us, since we speak the same language (so to speak... when I start on the in depth biology, I get the deer look.) We both understand the risks associated with what we do... and right now, we both have other jobs as well. I think that helps to balance it out a touch. Can it work? Certainly. Anything can work. Does it take effort? Heck yes... and is anything guaranteed? Nopes. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be a lot saner.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Jess and I are both EMT's I love it, we compare calls we had and share knowledge. I enjoy it.

Unlike my ex who thought that I thought I was better then her and fought about it.. :roll:

My husband and I are both basics. I work 2 EMS jobs and right now, he has one. We don't get to see each other nearly as much as we would like and that makes it a huge challenge. On top of that, he has a little girl who lives with us so a lot of the "us" time gets re- assigned to his daughter which if fine but frustrating. After I've been gone for 3 or 4 days in a row, I want some time with my sweetie, not to read bedtime stories. But, as with anything, it takes work and the realization that there are things more important than me. It helps a LOT that we set aside US time. We sit down together a month in advance and pick a day or two for us to be together, alone. We take days off to make it happen then we shut off our phones and computers and spend the time together. It gives us something to look forward to.

As far as the education and swapping stories, I think it is refreshing for us to swap stories and share info. I know for me at least, it gives me a new set of eyes to see through...an extra opportunity to learn something

ive been dating a paramedic for awhile now, and I find that while we dont run with the same company, its nice to have some one who understands both you as a person AND the things that we see daily in EMS. Its refreshing to be able to come home and tell someone about a disturbing run and know that they understand every aspect... emotionally, from a career perspective, and how I might not be immediately ready to put it behind me when I get off shift. And he can do the same.

That said, If we had worked for the same company, I would never have started the relationship... far to many potential complications can arise.

Holy crap did I just get some awesome news. I'm bouncing of the freaking walls. I'll bet that I am the happiest MF in the world right now, and nobody can burst my bubble.

The fiance literally just called to tell me that she got switched to another shift. Now we are going to be working the same days starting Sept. 8th. What does this mean you ask? Well it means that we just doubled our at home time together, we are going from 10 days a month to 20......aren't you happy for us? Oh come on, I know that you are!

sweet, sweet, sweet